FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle MarCum Technologies The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: the hot bite?  (Read 376 times)

fishogger

the hot bite?
« on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:58 AM »
been pretty quiet on the trout/salmon front.  anyone heard of stringers being filled on any of the rivers up north?  we went on a short trip to see what was up but it was cold as ice.  i seen one steelhead on a stringer and that was it. one friend went up to tippy dam last weekend and it was a bust too.  any tips to look into would be appreciated.  by all means, pm if you feel it necessary.

fishogger

Re: the hot bite?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:30 AM »
made a couple calls and talked to another friend. he was up there last week also and said the fish were in there. so now i have two different stories. lol the numbers(along with bad reports) the last couple years sure dont reflect a good run. 

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52259_19092-51534--,00.html#history

Daybreak

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2017, 01:11 PM »
I'm reading on another site the "snaggers" have been hauling them out by the dozens.  (The CO's have also hauled a few of the snaggers off to jail)  Remember, if you see something, say something!  DNR CENTRAL DISPATCH (812) 837-9536.  Put this in your phone and let them know what is happening.  Hopefully this rain and cooler weather will bring in some more fish up the streams.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Not trying to steal the topic but for sake of argument why not allow snagging of Salmon during there final few days. I may be wrong but the returning salmon don't reproduce or return to lake, atleast normally. Seems like a better use of tax payers and dnr dollars that hatch the eggs rather than let the resource just rot on the bottom of the river. States would probable benefit financially with an added fee for snagger license or something like that. I know it used to be legal on some rivers and areas. Also know it was big business for the state and local communities. Not sure who or why it was stopped for something that only last a very short period. Illegal snagging wouldn't be any harder to enforce than it is now and even that would generate more income. At a time when both MI and In dnr revenues are dropping seems like a good way to add a few dollars in their pockets for increase stocking or anything else that has hurt due to funding. I was told, maybe incorrectly that the charter fishing and trout fishing community had a big park in the ending of snagging and now I hear reason from the same groups way the fishing isn't as good as it used to be because the funding isn't there for stocking programs. Maybe that the ones who stopped the snagging hurt themselves in the long run. JMO. Sorry fishogger if you feel my post was out of place.   

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Because you cannot be sure to snag only the dying salmon.
Other fish get snagged, and killed.

Many fish follow the salmon upstream to eat the eggs they lay.

I've seen beautiful browns, bows, catfish, and even a walleye snagged.

Not good.

fishogger

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2017, 04:00 PM »
not at all bigr

as for the snagging.  you always hear about the low life snaggers. lol  those fish arent there to eat so lining/snagging is about the only way your going to catch them.  we used to go up every year until the numbers crashed.  you could land as many as your arms could take.  it was a blast but most of the fish you brought in were foul hooked.  at night everyone's stringers got filled though.  sure there were COs around but they didnt seem to care much.  kinda hard to prove on their part too i suppose.  dont think i ever seen anyone get a ticket for anything and i never have been asked for my license.  they realize those fish are there to die and mite as well get harvested.  it used to be an acceptable practice because of this fact.  now everything has to be "politically correct".   

stockings have been way down because of a bait fish crash not the funding.  the last 2 years have had good bait fish recruitment numbers, so maybe its on a rebound and the stocking mite go back up.  from what i understand the run this year is from a good natural recruitment year class.  lets hope thats the case and it continues.  few more buddies are going at the end of the week so i should get a reliable report this time. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.