FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall Landlock Salmon  (Read 3816 times)

TightLinesMaine

Fall Landlock Salmon
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Caught these guys on the fly rod recently on back to back days and than it was a struggle.  Missed a bunch of bites and lost a few, including the biggest one (maybe 23") which fell off after a few headshakes and another smaller one that spit the hook mid air.  That's fly rod salmon fishing for ya  8) The salmon were hooked and caught on medium sized streamers (size 8 to 10), I prefer this to method of fishing to nymphs whenever I can, more fun to see them chase a fly while giving it some action.   Water was low this fall again so long leaders (10+ ft)  w/ fluoro tippet (3x) on floating line were the key, for me at least. 

I think the first (heavily spotted one) may have been in the river quite a while, but who knows, the other was caught much further downstream and looked more "fresh", actually thought the second one was going to be a hen until I landed it and saw the kype. 

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Fall Landlock Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Nice fish and good illustrations of the kypes on males. I think you're right on with the fresh fish and older one.
That biggest male has been around for a while. He will probably be alone doing his dance at the spawning bed this Fall. He will never completely lose that kype but will have a good start next fall. The younger one will lose that one and get a bigger one next year. I've seen some real old males that actually developed a "socket" in the lower jaw from repeated kypes that got bigger every year.

I think I need to put a gps locator on your vehicle. :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Gorgeous! Makes me want to get back after them!

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Nice fish, Randall.  Low water must have made it a real challenge!

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Why does the second male have significantly fewer spots? Will it get more spots as it gets older? Is that common?

If it was a brown I would say the lesser spotted one was a female. But obviously not if it has a kype.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Why does the second male have so fewer spots? Will it get more spots as it gets older? Is that common?

If it was a brown I would say the lesser spotted one was a female. But obviously not if it has a kype.

Not sure to be honest.  I actually got a quick picture of it in the net right after I landed it, I assume it's a male, don't think hens get that big of a bump in the lower jaw.

Nice fish and good illustrations of the kypes on males. I think you're right on with the fresh fish and older one.
That biggest male has been around for a while. He will probably be alone doing his dance at the spawning bed this Fall. He will never completely lose that kype but will have a good start next fall. The younger one will lose that one and get a bigger one next year. I've seen some real old males that actually developed a "socket" in the lower jaw from repeated kypes that got bigger every year.

I think I need to put a gps locator on your vehicle. :)

haha

and yes I've seen the jaw-socket before.  Your account sounds right to me.  I actually don't think I hooked any hens this year, not complaining as I'd rather C&R the males. 

Nice fish, Randall.  Low water must have made it a real challenge!

Low water was about on par with last year, same with number of fish in the river as well, definitely wasn't easy but not impossible if you put your time in.  Unfortunately I got late starts most of the time, settled for mid to late afternoon fishing.  Would loved to have got more time in.   

Gump

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:31 PM »
very nice fish! 

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

fish wayniac

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:22 AM »
Nice Salmon Congratz!

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Very nice!! Great looking salmon!!!
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Nice ones! I hope to run into you later this fall on the other river.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Nice ones! I hope to run into you later this fall on the other river.

thanks Chi, likewise.

just waiting for those stocking trucks now  ;D

MattyP123

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:39 PM »
very cool!

franklin fisher

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:00 PM »
  Nice ones.  Thanks for sharing.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Nice salmon!   Also enjoyed your brookie post - some really beautiful fish there.  The colors were so amazing you'd think it was a painting. 

Thanks for sharing.     

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2017, 09:29 AM »
I think they may have gotten lost somewhere ;D

Seriously, I'm guessing that if we don't get some serious rain real soon, a lot of flowing waters won't get stocked for the 2nd Fall in a row :P

just waiting for those stocking trucks now  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.