FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 10ft jon boat registration required?  (Read 7124 times)

200fisher

Re: 10ft jon boat registration required?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2017, 06:05 AM »
I get checked a couple times a year. Hell i even got checked while out in the ocean fishing fro my kayak. The epo pulled up in their boar and checked my lice and my catch right there on the water.

That being said, the fear of being caught isnt why i follow the rules. I follow the rules because they are there for a reason.
If you paid a little more attention to personal hygiene you wouldn’t have lice, and there would be no reason for a EPO riding a wild pig to check them!
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

Baitbucket

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2017, 07:04 AM »
If you paid a little more attention to personal hygiene you wouldn’t have lice, and there would be no reason for a EPO riding a wild pig to check them!

Thats what i get for posting from my phone lol.

westernmas

« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2017, 08:12 AM »
im thinking of just using oars. im just going to leave it at a buddys house at one of the ponds i fish. if i only use oars do i still need it registered? just going to use it for some crappie fishing in the spring so i dont really need a motor. already have a 12t jon boat with a 9.9 on a trailer for all the heavy work so was just going to leave the 10ft one at the pond.

My understanding is that you don't since it doesn't have a motor.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Wow, this one went off the tracks a bit into philisophical land.  To that end...there was a country once...where you could hunt your own food and sustain yourself.  No keep a fish tax or use a boat with a motor tax. Now that country is full of people who get off on their morals being better than the next guy.  Not to say I dont follow the rules, but I've been doing this long enough to know they exist for revenue purposes nothing else.  Have to pay all those Mass EPO's while they manipulate the system to do overtime details during a normal weekday.  Read about it.  I guess Will found the few that were not making  time and a half on a regular duty day sitting at a public pool. Some of these same EPO's have complained they are understaffed.  Well Sir if you didnt blow the budget doing details for overtime at a pool with life guards youd make less but you'd have more friends at work...you can disagree with fishermantim's perspective but he has the foresight to understand the situation in its totality. 

Chew on this:

http://www.wcvb.com/article/5-investigates-some-environmental-cops-staying-home-while-on-duty/8280435

This one is better as it highlights the tax payer waste in more detail:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/11/10/environmental-police-overtime-pools-shifts/

No reg needed with just oars...but dont worry, they wont even know you're out there! 

Baitbucket

« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I remember reading about that article when it came out. Sitting in a public pool parking lot, during a rain storm, while it was closed, collecting OT. I believe i read that one officer made more in OT than his regular pay. But if its there and there are no rules against it, people will abuse it. Even those who have sworn to serve and protect.

I like to think thats why we have alot of the regs we have today. Otherwise the few scumbags of the world would take advantage of it. Hell, some do anyway.. All it takes is a few bad apples to spoil it for the rest of us.

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Wow, this one went off the tracks a bit into philisophical land.  To that end...there was a country once...where you could hunt your own food and sustain yourself. 

But we also had market hunting where species went extinct or nearly extinct because people were harvesting fish and game to resell. We also had idiots that killed game just to kill it and left it lay.

Or harvesting game with no limits just to use them for fertilizer as in this case bison skulls. It was also a thing to shot bison off of trains to see how many you could kill.

And there's the passenger pigeon that people shot out of the sky and left lay too.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Taxid I can appreciate the parralell but the mindset set back then was much different than today.  Point being is for fishing and hunting there is excessive overreach (fish NY their EPO's can search you at their discretion because you waive the right by purchasing their license!) , yet in Mass they show that the only concern is the money.

Now follow the lobby trail and you'd probably see a majority of these laws are pushed and lobbied for by special interest groups with lots of dough to toss around.

Champlain has market commerical fishing with no limit yet is one of the most productive fisheries available in the northeast.  Im sure you get my drift (pun intended)

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:26 PM »
I see your point.

I feel we have the reverse problem in my neck of the woods. CO's and enforcement of game laws is not a priority to our legislators so there aren't enough on the payroll. It's not unusual to wait at least 3 days (my experience) when I call in something egregious. By the time time they get back to me it's too late. On top of that when people get convicted of poaching thy are just slapped on the hand. Our judges probably would rather play golf so why get upset about hunting or fishing violations?

Many of us have tried time after time everytime a rules change proposals come around to get a limit on bluegills as they are fished really hard here. It seemed we finally were getting somewhere this time and it just got inexplicably dropped.

I know people that go through the bluegill beds and will catch and keep every last one. Then they wonder why there aren't so many anymore.

You can now kill deer with just about anything, which was going to include high powered rifles in thickly settled areas but apparently someone saw the lunacy in that and it got stopped.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Taxid I can appreciate the parralell but the mindset set back then was much different than today.

Different times but game laws and enforcement is better than mass raping of the fish and game.

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Different times but game laws and enforcement is better than mass raping of the fish and game.

Agreed.  Assuming the enfocement isn't too busy catching a tan  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.