FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sixth Time's The Charm  (Read 1057 times)

bogtrotter

Sixth Time's The Charm
« on: Oct 22, 2017, 07:20 PM »
As an example of succumbing to hope over experience, I gave the North Hoosic in North Adams a try yesterday afternoon, even though the last time I caught a fish there was the first week in September.

It was sunny, blue skies, 78 degrees - - glorious weather - - but the water level was disturbingly low.

Suffice it to say I preserved my fishless streak on the North Branch. A pity, because in past years it has been a fairly consistent producer right up into the winter.

This afternoon, I fished the South Hoosic for a little over an hour and a half, from Cheshire Harbor in Cheshire down to a little past Elm Rock in Adams.

The weather was virtually a carbon copy of yesterday, although the water levels on the South Branch are still a bit higher than on the North. (They were noticeably lower at the Cheshire Harbor dam, but it was not so obvious further downstream).

The only action of the day was a little below Elm Rock, where, after six separate attempts, I finally managed to land a 13" brown trout.

(It was the lower end of the same run where I caught a larger brown last week).

To be honest, I counted myself lucky, because I found the sheer persistence of the brown kind of odd.

Although I have had brook trout return repeatedly even after I have hooked and lost them, in my experience that happens a lot less frequently with browns and rainbows.

Usually, once I "prick" a brown or a rainbow but it gets away, that's the last I will see of him for the rest of the day.

It's truly rare to get not just a second, but a third, fourth, fifth and sixth chance to land a given fish.

lowaccord66

Re: Sixth Time's The Charm
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Thats awesome Jim. Saturday am I broke off a jig using 3.5# floro and about an hour later my buddy landed the fish with the jig and my leader in its mouth.  My albright failed!  You are correct about the browns, ive sight fished for them a lot and usually (unless its a fresh tank fish) they will not hit for at least a day. 

I hit the farmington after work and landed a pair of holdovers.  One brown, one bow both with decent kypes.  On a rapala finally. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I like the story about your buddy catching the fish with your jig and leader in its mouth.

Also, I just learned what a "kype" is this past year. (We old timers just called it a "hooked jaw," but "kype"  is certainly easier to type).

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Thats what I get for thinking I could use that 3.5# floro.  It ties great surgeons knots but slipped out of the albright....great time of year to pursue trout. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.