FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any trappers near me in Noble County?  (Read 1792 times)

taxid

Any trappers near me in Noble County?
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I have a monster male mink hanging out in one of my fish ponds. I could trap him and will if no one is interested, but don't see the point in buying a trapping license to take out one mink as the license probably cost more than the fur is probably worth. I could just take him out as a nuisance and discard the mink but thought I'd give someone a chance that traps in my area.

Let me know if you're interested. He's hanging out under a pier so shouldn't be difficult to locate his den. (at least that is where the dog scared him out of.)

I'd like to get rid of him asap as I have $30,000 worth of trout in another pond  on the property.

This probably explains whey I planted 700 fingerlings into an adjacent pond and have only recovered 473.  ::) And no muskrats which is actually a good thing!

P.M. me or email me at [email protected] or call me at (260) 894-9055. First come first serve.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Boomer

Re: Any trappers near me in Noble County?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:02 PM »
Have you tried your local game biologist or the Indiana Fur Trappers Association? They must have a website.  Understandable why you wouldwant to get rid of it but I applaud you for trying to "use" the animal.

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2017, 03:33 AM »
Not sure you need a license to trap your own property. If I were closer I would love catch the critter. They make a nice hanging fur or mount. Where theirs a buck you'll find some does. Pop a hole about fist size into a nearby bank and you'll have him and any others in short order. Good luck. 

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Yes I can get him on my property according to INDNR and the past conservation officer without a license. I have it in writing if I'm challenged. Just thought if a trapper nearby wanted to take him he could do so. Will be punching some holes today and setting conibears and bait as I have not had a response from anyone otherwise.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Have you tried your local game biologist or the Indiana Fur Trappers Association? They must have a website.  Understandable why you wouldwant to get rid of it but I applaud you for trying to "use" the animal.

Last time I contacted a game biologist about something I got no response. A friend tells me the last game biologist for our area retired and there is no desire to fill the position. Haven't bothered to see if I can verify that or they finally did fill the position.

I went to the Indiana Fur Trappers Association site and it appears dead.

No worries I will get the conibears out and get to work.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Went ahead and bought a trapper's license on line even though I didn't need to. It was under $20.00 so not a big deal. Maybe I'll break even if I get more than one mink, and a few rats.  :D.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:55 AM »
You're lucky you can just buy a trapping license there. You can't here without having passed the NYS Trappers Education Course or proof that you have. Even an out of state license won't qualify you.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Looks like there has been some pressure from Animal Rights Activists in your region?

Would like to retire to your area in a few years but looks like all kinds of hurdles and fees just to raise fish.

Here it's the other extreme. We actually have a law in Indiana that you will go to jail if you covertly film animal abuse on a farm or slaughterhouse.

I obviously don't have a problem with farms or slaughterhouses but don't condone unnecessary suffering or taunting of animals. Fortunately the latter is pretty rare as we farmers respect our animals.

I euthanize the fish I sell to taxidermists by overdosing them with a fish anesthetic. They just go to sleep and never wake up before going into the freezer. It also has the added benefit of preventing damage by thrashing around in a container. 

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Cold then warm then cold then warm. The new norm. Either way the fish will be biting. Boat or hardwater. Best bite of the year is about to start late nov. to late dec. Feeding has begin.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2017, 05:42 PM »
  :wacko:
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Cold then warm then cold then warm. The new norm. Either way the fish will be biting. Boat or hardwater. Best bite of the year is about to start late nov. to late dec. Feeding has begin.

? :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.