FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wells in the summer!!  (Read 3249 times)

Swampking89

Wells in the summer!!
« on: Feb 28, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Heading to wells 4th of July week.looking to get my grandkids some action. Any info would be welcomed.pm me if you wish.thanks!!

Bartman44

Re: Wells in the summer!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:24 PM »
How old are your grand kids? I have a lot of spots but safety first. 

Bartman44

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Just thinking, you're talking Wells, Maine or Wells, NY?  - I have spots in Maine.

Swampking89

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2018, 06:34 AM »
Maine.my grandkids are 11 and 7.any tips would be welcomed.thanks

touge30

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2018, 08:49 AM »
The Bunny Clark in perkins cove is a good time.Just pick your day.Tim tower is one of the best

Swampking89

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Is that party boat or a private charter?

Bartman44

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Maine, of course, since you posted on the Maine forum.   ;D My kids are 5 years apart and when they were younger we spent a lot of time up there.

Here's a few places that come to mind.  Just remember you are going during prime tourist season so all these spots are best fished at first light (for better fishing and parking) so I hope your grandkids are early risers:

1. Kennebunk river mouth in Kennebunkport  - east side, there is a parking lot and jetty, best fished with a moving tide.
2. Parsons Beach, Off Parsons beach Rd near Kennebunkport - open ocean with creek mouth, best fished during a running tide, waders are helpful but stripers do sip sand eels close to shore in the AM within reach of a spinning rod.  Don't be afraid to try the little bridge on Parsons beach Rd during a running tide. 
3. Wells Beach pier, pay for the beach parking, get there early or it will fill. You can catch small stripers all day on either side of the jetty, but the right side (ocean side) of the jetty can be good just fishing the wash beneath your feet all the way out.  Family can hang on the beach while you fish all day.
4. Marginal Way - Park at Perkins Cove and walk the path - first light with a high tide is best, you can catch stripers and small Pollock in the nooks and crannies or cast off the rock outcrops  for bigger fish. 

As far as equipment, don't go big, regular freshwater spinning tackle with 8ib test that they can cast farther is just fine as most of the fish are small and medium.  1/4 oz to 3/8 oz jig heads  with fluke or paddle style bodies work well. Northland mimic minnows silver/black work well.  You don't need to go crazy with lures.  If you want to use bait, try sandworms on a hook with sinker.

Just a few words of warning:

Jetties-   you do need to keep an eye on the kids but find a place that has a good platform
Bugs - Marginal way and Parsons will eat you alive with skeeters and other bad bugs at first light, bring repellent.
Parking - first come first serve unless somebody can drop you off. 

Have fun! 

Swampking89

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Thanks Bartman!!will I need a license to fish?thans again for all the tips!

joefishmore

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2018, 10:00 AM »
Do you have a boat ?

Swampking89

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2018, 01:34 PM »
No boat.looking for shore spots.thanks

joefishmore

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Mostly boat fishing that area as far as I can tell.Parsons beach can be good early in season, June but parking is limited.
Ypu have got to remember that the shorefront in Maine is mostly private property and these charitable people don't want you or anybody else
around so they will do anything they can to keep you out and deny access

Swampking89

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.might try a party boat,maybe a 1/2 day trip.any recommendations?thanks again!!

Swampking89

« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:35 PM »
I know it's early but any more tips would be helpful.my brother in law and I fished by a bridge just north of wells on a river(20 years ago).using freshwater gear on a incoming tide,I hooked with I thought was a biggen,fought it for about a half hour,got it in and it wasn't even a keeper!!fun though! Was using a chunk of herring and sinker.guys that were fishing near us thought we were nuts using fresh water stuff!! I've caught 30 lb. salmon in lake Ontario using the stuff but with the current,a whole different ball game!!

joefishmore

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Paul Hebert of Wicked Tuna has a brother that charters out of Kennebunk. His boat is the Libreti Rose. Also Capt Metcalf is reputable.
You prob fished Mousam River. Sometimes good at mouth when tide is almost out. Sometimes Ogunquit river
Half day party boats don.t get much in this area because they don't have time to get very far offshoe. If you want a party boat go to Rye or salisbury new hampshire, not that far, or Plum Island to fish off the beach

Swampking89

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Thanks joe.i don't know if my grandson can handle an all day trip.a half day would probably be plenty.do they still do half days from Boothbay?thanks again!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.