FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Huntington Dam  (Read 3395 times)

Hankfan24

Huntington Dam
« on: Mar 22, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Is there a significant walleye run on the wabash? I've heard that below the dam in the tailwaters is prime in the spring, and I've also heard there is not a significant enough walleye run here to bother. Which is it?

tater140

Re: Huntington Dam
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2018, 01:43 PM »
I've caught a few over the years below the Roush dam, it seems to be hit or miss for me.  I was down there about a week ago, and didn't catch anything... My theory was since we had the big rain a few weeks ago and the river ran so high for so long it pushed a majority of the fish downstream a ways.  I would guess they should be starting to make their way back up there though.  Waterflow is always key there.  I like to see it flowing a little faster then it's normal flow.  Check the corps of engineers site for daily updates on the flow rates.

tater140

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2018, 01:56 PM »
I've caught a few over the years below the Roush dam, it seems to be hit or miss for me.  I was down there about a week ago, and didn't catch anything... My theory was since we had the big rain a few weeks ago and the river ran so high for so long it pushed a majority of the fish downstream a ways.  I would guess they should be starting to make their way back up there though.  Waterflow is always key there.  I like to see it flowing a little faster then it's normal flow.  Check the corps of engineers site for daily updates on the flow rates.

Hankfan24

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Thank you. I stopped there today, and the water is very low. Had to walk forever downstream to find a hole.

tater140

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Yep, that is my concern when that water is so low.  Hopefully we get a medim sized rain to bring that flow up a bit and i think the fish will come back upstream.  Im no super experienced fishing the rivers so take that for whatever its worth.  If you had the time i woukd consider looking around the salimonie tailwaters.  There is deeper water more readily avaialble there.  I have only been there a cple of times below the dam and have never landed an eye there.... im sure they are there though

bev

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:08 AM »
if you all get a chance just below the sally dam is good to.

Jigmup

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2018, 07:07 PM »
All of the dams mentioned have treated me well for 20+ years. Adapting is the name of the game. Sometimes un-conventional techniques are required and sometimes overlooked spots need to be targeted. Usually fish can be taken from late Jan. until post spawn is over in the immediate section below the dam. My advice is use the smallest jig you can get away with according to the flow. In the middle of the night use medium to large profile suspending stickbaits in the current breaks. I made a trip south to Bull Shoals a couple weeks ago for some tailrace walleye. I was targeting a teen but wasn't successful for one that big. Managed some 8's that went back and kept a few that normally I would return but 8 hours driving and needing to feed 6 of us some fish, I kept a few big ones. Limited 3 days on the night/stickbait bite.

Never tell a fish wher its supposed to be

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Nice ones man

abishop

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2018, 09:23 PM »
All of the dams mentioned have treated me well for 20+ years. Adapting is the name of the game. Sometimes un-conventional techniques are required and sometimes overlooked spots need to be targeted. Usually fish can be taken from late Jan. until post spawn is over in the immediate section below the dam. My advice is use the smallest jig you can get away with according to the flow. In the middle of the night use medium to large profile suspending stickbaits in the current breaks. I made a trip south to Bull Shoals a couple weeks ago for some tailrace walleye. I was targeting a teen but wasn't successful for one that big. Managed some 8's that went back and kept a few that normally I would return but 8 hours driving and needing to feed 6 of us some fish, I kept a few big ones. Limited 3 days on the night/stickbait bite.

Nice catch, what does a Arkansas license cost these days? if this is the bull shoals you are referring to.

tater140

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Is there a certain water temp you find that they start to hit stick baits.  Stick baits are typically one of my go to baits on some of the lakes up here, but ive been told in the past the water temps need to be mid 40’s before their active enough to hit those.

Jigmup

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2018, 07:25 AM »
Is there a certain water temp you find that they start to hit stick baits.  Stick baits are typically one of my go to baits on some of the lakes up here, but ive been told in the past the water temps need to be mid 40’s before their active enough to hit those.
Anything but frozen!

Jigmup

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2018, 07:28 AM »
nice ones jigmup :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  was anyone else out there in the dark casting with ya?  what were the locals doing there?

notice he said suspending tater.  i use suspenders for ice out bass.  its that pause they like when its cold.  reel n twitch for 4-6ft then a long pause.
There was a few locals there. Got the stink eye on the first night but they warmed up after that.

Hankfan24

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, looks like a bunch of rain is blowing in this week. That outta get the walleyes moving.

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Is there a significant walleye run on the Wabash? I've heard that below the dam in the tailwaters is prime in the spring, and I've also heard there is not a significant enough walleye run here to bother. Which is it?
No not enough to bother with! Man I have lived in Wabash for 5 years and keep pretty good tabs on Miss and Sally, its whats close,I have seen people occasionally catch them, but not a significant run, I have never seen any bite that suggests theirs a run at all. Any local got a solid argument?

Hankfan24

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05:03 PM »
On the way to maumee ohio tomorrow. There's a good run for sure there! Lol I'm going to try salamonie dam on Friday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.