FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: March Tops Off a Great Winter  (Read 1524 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
March Tops Off a Great Winter
« on: Mar 30, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Over the years, open water fishing in March is often the toughest of the year.   March 2018 couldn't have been more different.  I ice fished little this season and focused on getting more open water spots under my belt.  Nearly all the prospecting I did paid big dividends.  I had to trudge through deep snow at times, cross sketchy ice to get to open water to wade in (it's a walk and leap of faith ;D), and get OK's from a private property owners time or 2.  At the same time, I had to stay on the right side of the line to stay in legal waters.  Confluences with major rivers can get tricky in that regard. Kind of reminded me of clamming 40 years ago and staying on the right side of the line between waters that were certified or NOT certified for shellfish harvest.   I guess it ended up OK....no tickets and only one icy dip that slowed me down.  Here is one such "edge" area.  Some thicker ice out of the picture to the left, skim ice to the right, and an opening in between with a wadeable sandbar leading to deeper water.

The results?  One PB after another fell.  I ended up with 57 trout/salmon in March.  My previous best for that month was 31 in 2016, but that included 11 native brookies from trickles due to the early opener that year.  Other than that, March has only been good for a total of a fish or 2.  Fishing must be one of the few sports where you can get better with age 8)

Here are a few pics of fish from the past few weeks.  You can definitely see the ones taken after snowstorms, but I'd rather deal with this slush than that on the lakes.

Jigs were the "go to" lure.....under a bobber early,  then with a slow, jerky retrieve later.  Chartreuse either alone or in combo was favored.  Just a few on crankbaits and spoons.

zwiggles

Re: March Tops Off a Great Winter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Awesome! As always loved the story and
fthe fish pics. You have quite a streak going

Out4Trout

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Congratulations on the PB of 57 Jim, quite an accomplishment! Fun to read of some of the treks you went thru to claim these fish. Posts can only show just a small collection of the highlights. I'm sure that if we only knew just how many miles you must put on each month (both driving and walking) we'd be amazed.  Thanks, and will be looking forward to next months posts.

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I had to log in for this one Jim, 56!!? Incredible numbers and if those pics are your sample you must be keeping the fishing gods happy. Hard work pays off!

woodchip1

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Nice looking photos Thanks

franklin fisher

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:20 PM »
  "Fishing must be one of the few sports where you can get better with age."  That's a great line.  It gives us all something to look forward to.  Nice fish Jim, sounds like it was an awesome month.  Thanks for the update.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Wow, jealous! You are dialed in on the winter open water salmon! Beauties & great pics!

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:52 PM »
Way to go! Hats off to you man, that’s an awesome month any time of year in my books.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fish wayniac

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2018, 06:17 AM »
Jim, You put in a lot of work to open water fish year round. You got many beautiful fish especially the Brown’s. Looking forward to your April posts. Awesome!

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Who needs ice fishing?  ;D very impressive Jim.

jacksmelt

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2018, 07:18 PM »
wish i lived closer to you Jim. id lose a lot of weight following you! nice fish sir!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Thanks for the comments!  I started hitting the winter open water fishing hard in 2011.  It's become one of my favorite seasons.  Usually better than most Springs which bring all the snowmelt and such.

Stickbait

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Haven’t visited this site all winter. Id forgotten how busy you stay during the “ off season “!!
Great narrative and pics.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.