FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass Lake - An interesting discussion...  (Read 1306 times)

LundProv

Bass Lake - An interesting discussion...
« on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Went to my annual professional meeting today in Chicago and I usually run into a friend that practices in West Lafayette and has a house and other property on Bass Lake.  Bill has been on Bass Lake for 20+ years and has been the president of the homeowner's association and is very involved with the lake.  He is an avid water skier and only knows about fishing from the committee and neighborhood reports.  So, after we exchanged annual - how is your family?- he volunteered that the fishing at Bass lake is really struggling.  He said the water quality and clarity is lousy and there is some type of algae responsible for a slime layer on the bottom of the lake.  He reports that forever, the bottom has been sandy and clean and now has a very slippery algae.  As he talked and I listened, I told him that the buzz on the internet is that the homeowners have killed off all the weeds and destroyed the habitat and he got very defensive and said the homeowners only killed off the invasive weeds.  I asked him how they were selective and he was not sure. He told me that Purdue is studying the lake with the DNR and is currently stocking the lake.  He was not certain what specie(s) were being stocked.  He told me Bass lake is one of the only lakes in Indiana that does not have any inflows and does not receive run off from farmers fields because it is higher than the fields around the perimeter.  I told him that I was gonna give the pocket region a try just to fish some spring crappie memories but after talking with him, I think I will invest my time on other bodies of water.  Just thought I would pass this information along from a long time resident of the lake...

bigr

Re: Bass Lake - An interesting discussion...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2018, 04:00 AM »
Lundprov from your comments I can see why so many people are down on Bass lake. From your statements I believe you talked to a guy that is very much like the majority of land owners on Bass that just don't really care to know all the facts and are only interested in what serves there needs. I'd bet that even if it's determined that the yearly weed killing is the cause of the slippery, algae, unsightly problem that the homeowners see on THEIR lake they would still choose to have it sprayed. 

Gartoon

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2018, 06:17 AM »
 :sick: :o

fishygene

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I don't say to much but I cant leave this alone. Invasive weeds must anything that grows under water. No weeds in the Pocket or Hillbilly beach or any 4ft. of water on west side of the lake. If the DNR had any BXLLS they would cut the weed killing permit in 1/2 and give some of the lake to the fishermen an not a dead sea. My 2 cents   gene    p.s. did open big can of worms .

charlys1954

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2018, 01:25 PM »
..............Bill has been on Bass Lake for 20+ years and has been the president of the homeowner's association and is very involved with the lake.  He is an avid water skierand only knows about fishing from the committee and neighborhood reports...........

The underline part in my opinion, is your answer on the cause of the bottom slime and poor fishing results. Maybe its caused by a chemical buildup I don't know. One thing I would bet on, the slime would not be there if every year they didn't kill the weeds so they can run their speed boats and jet skis weed free.

Just like Culver, Bass Lake owner's money talks, money runs politicians, and politicians run the DNR. So getting the DNR to reduce weed kill is not gona happen. I know this for a fact, back in the 90's thru emails I personally complained to the Culver Lake "Environmental" Council President and the DNR about Weed kill. All I got from Pres. Tiongson was lame excusses and the DNR said they'd look into illegal weed kill.You don't have this problem in Northern states, they respect the fisherman.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.