FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody pull copper?  (Read 2079 times)

Linc

Anybody pull copper?
« on: Jun 25, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Three years ago a buddy of mine taught me about pulling copper handline using an old victrola motor. I went twice that year on Owasco Lake and caught 2 lakers my second time out. Once last year on Cayuga Lake I caught seven. Tossed a couple back plus I had a few get off the hook. Due to my wifes medical condition I have not been out this year as of yet. But my buddy seems to really be getting into them this year on Cayuga Lake again. Hopefully I will get out at least once this year. I need to try out a few lures I picked up. In the meantime I have made up a couple of boxes and couple more victrola motors to make up a couple more boxes. Yup, I guess I am the one hooked. Too bad the copper line is so costly.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Anybody pull copper?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Yup! Did it for years. Had a "Victrola" and a ton of Sutton spoons. I was taught by my mentor " The Old Man". I had success and failure.

In the end, I reverted to hook and bobber fishing more than anything. I guess we all go full circle eventuality.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2018, 06:46 AM »
I have an old Victrola troller loaded with copper down in the basement. It belonged to my wife's uncle, he had a place on Cayuga. We took him out on our boat in his final years, he was determined to pass his knowledge and secrets on to the remaining fisher people of the family. And yes that thing sure did catch fish. He made sure we ended up with his prize fishing tools, mostly knowledge... R.I.P. uncle Don.

The "twin minnow" was his favorite lure. Lookes like a flat fish with an upturned single hook plus a small flasher blade on the belly. Don't think they make them anymore. I have a box of those originals I should look at. A goggle search now shows an entirely different lure.

Linc

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2018, 06:55 AM »
After a good day of fishing your arms will feel it. Pulling up 300' of line by hand is work but once the fish sees the boat the battle begins. My biggest laker to day was 7 3/4# so I can only imagine what a 14#er would be like. I used laker taker spoons but have since got a few other lures to try. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Somewhere I think I still have a box of Sutton spoons.it certainly is a workout. Back in three day, I fished Keuka mostly. Later I got into night fishing. Had the dual gas lanterns rigged off the sides of the boat. The alewives would rise and I'd catch them with a " speed net." Hook them on a jig and drop it down through the bait ball.

Many years since I've done that. It was quite a sight to see all the boats drifting about with the lanterns glowing.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Linc

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2018, 06:56 AM »
My buddy was taught by an old man that lived on Cayuga Lake. The old man only used Sutton spoons. He used them so much he wore them out.

creekchub

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Brought a family friends’ son out pulling copper for his first time last evening. Nothing great, but very happy he got one.

Linc

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I am sure it was gigantic in his eyes. Nice looking fish none the less. And a great experience for him. What lake did you fish on? My buddy has been doing real good on Cayuga.

Copperliner

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Great post, brings back a lot of fun memories pulling copper on Cayuga growing up!  A twin minnow was my go-to, usually black with a white belly, although the lakers never seemed very color-picky.  When the zebra mussels invaded, I started jigging instead, was very hard to keep the hook clean and leader intact.  Rarely see anyone out there pulling copper now...

Linc

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2018, 07:05 PM »
I was on Cayuga Monday morning with my buddy. We caught 11 Lakers and lost a few. Tossed all but the 3 biggest back in. The biggest was about 10 lb.

Copperliner

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2018, 06:49 AM »
That's awesome Linc, nothing like having only a wire between you and a big, head shaking laker!  Cayuga's been spoiling us this year.  I may have to dust off the victrola and give it another try, although it's been tough to put down the jigging rod. 

Linc

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2018, 06:09 PM »
From what I understand Owasco has not been productive the last few years. My buddy has been doing real good on Cayuga. We only fished for 3 1/2 hrs. We have never tried jigging maybe one day we will try it out.  Silver or brass seems to work good for us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.