FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Duke of Fluke  (Read 3117 times)

zwiggles

Re: Duke of Fluke
« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:01 PM »
They are the same fluke/summer flounder you'll get in southern NH and the record is over 24 pounds. Same species

Indeed, I had no idea they got that big.

Spider1

« Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2018, 05:27 AM »
winter flounders are the smaller ones. they have a small mouth and look to the right. They are called winter flounders cuz they come in closer to shore in the late winter and spring to spawn and are easier to catch. They can get pretty big but usually don't... or at least when I used to fish for them they weren't that big.

The larger ones are the summer flounder which are often called fluke. They are bigger, have bigger mouths and teeth and look to the left. They spawn in deeper waters during the late winter and spring and then go shallow in the summer. They can get huge but as Sharps said, a 15# is a target these days. And that is truly a door mat!

mr.clean

« Reply #17 on: Jul 03, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Congratulations Sharps beautiful fish . :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: I have caught fluke during numerous vacations to Ocean City,NJ. most were below the state minimum length of 17 inches the same with fish caught by other anglers.

Steve

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2018, 06:32 AM »
Indeed these are your typical summer flounder. I have been consistantly catching doormats year after year and I attribute it to many things, many very different than what others are doing even over the same school of fish.

Here in RI they have to be 19" and it is now 6 per person, used to be 17" at 8 per person.

The typical average fluke size in my parts is around 18-20". The average size I am pulling over the rail is 22-24" and now I am trying to figure out how to make that average even bigger. I know the doormats are around its just a matter of getting them to bite.

zwiggles here is my PB and close second.

And few more doormats

Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Mike...Sunday....Fluke..id actually skip the canal!

westernmas

« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Great job.  You will be eating well for a while.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Mike...Sunday....Fluke..id actually skip the canal!

Ahhhh! Sunday wont work the wife and I are hitting up a restaurant in Providence for the start of restaurant week. Great deals at high end venues. Let me see if I can get you out there Saturday. I am going out to virgin waters tomorrow with the hopes of more fish, if successful I will hit you up for Saturday. Sound good?

Westernmas.... The season is not even halfway through. Just to give you an idea I run 6 full sized freezers all year long. 1 for fish, 2 for venison, 1 for birds, 1 for home made kielbasa and sausages, and 1 for blanched veggies, fruits and berries from garden. I went to the market yesterday and bought milk and bread for the little guy and nothing else. ohh sorry and 20 gallons of water to make more wine and beer. I am as close to living off the land as it gets my friend. Thus I can enjoy a high quality lunch or dinner at a top notch restaurant when I please, I just choose not too. I see people around me ordering lunch day in and day out. Last time I ordered lunch was about 3 years ago. LOL

If its even remotely local odds are I have it either dried, preserved, or Frozen. I toss one heck of a fish fry every year too  ;)
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Oh and I run a 7th freezer thats about 9 cubics just for bait.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Saturday is definetly doable. 

westernmas

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Ahhhh! Sunday wont work the wife and I are hitting up a restaurant in Providence for the start of restaurant week. Great deals at high end venues. Let me see if I can get you out there Saturday. I am going out to virgin waters tomorrow with the hopes of more fish, if successful I will hit you up for Saturday. Sound good?

Westernmas.... The season is not even halfway through. Just to give you an idea I run 6 full sized freezers all year long. 1 for fish, 2 for venison, 1 for birds, 1 for home made kielbasa and sausages, and 1 for blanched veggies, fruits and berries from garden. I went to the market yesterday and bought milk and bread for the little guy and nothing else. ohh sorry and 20 gallons of water to make more wine and beer. I am as close to living off the land as it gets my friend. Thus I can enjoy a high quality lunch or dinner at a top notch restaurant when I please, I just choose not too. I see people around me ordering lunch day in and day out. Last time I ordered lunch was about 3 years ago. LOL

If its even remotely local odds are I have it either dried, preserved, or Frozen. I toss one heck of a fish fry every year too  ;)

Thats great.  I wish I could do that.  Maybe some day.  Until then I'll be one of the suckers buying lunch most days.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Jul 03, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Yeah it just burns me to spend money on food when I have so much. All i need is a cow and I am golden.
Wicked Wec

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #26 on: Jul 03, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Yeah it just burns me to spend money on food when I have so much. All i need is a cow and I am golden.

Are you talking a striper or one with horns? ;D

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Jul 03, 2018, 07:35 PM »

Check out crowd cow.  Its where I got the A5!

deerhunter

« Reply #28 on: Jul 04, 2018, 06:29 AM »
those are nice doormats for sure. been awhile since I've got em that big

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #29 on: Jul 05, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Took a quick trip out yesterday and it produced some quality fish. I also dropped one that was 6-7lbs but you win some and you lose some. New fillet station is allowing for quick work.

Fluke for dinner tonight! Grilled with olive oil, herbs (basil and dill), and some lemon.

Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.