FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BOOM goes the Battery!!  (Read 3700 times)

boondox

Re: BOOM goes the Battery!!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2018, 02:53 PM »
I do have a fire extinguisher.

My trolling motor is 24v so i have 2x 12v batteries in series. I have 2 more 12v in series in the front for the trolling motor as well. This allows me to troll all day (8+ hrs) using the trolling motor.

I may look into the plastic housing you can drop your battery into, if it will fit into where i keep my battery

Edit.. Ordered two cases off amazon for 12$ each for the 27 Group Size. The smaller sizes are cheaper. I strongly suggest you guys get one for each of your batteries to contain the acid if there is a blow out.

That's the other thing I forgot to suggest is a battery box..  to help contain the acid.. thought about it but forgot too.. . Also be carefull when charging cause the fumes are flamable that batteries let off they can pop when charged .. some time explode always good to air area out for a minute or three before you start chargeing... this will prevent explosions..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Interstate batteries is all I run, period. 2 on my CC  and 2 on my bassboat.  I also started off with the same wally world battery and it was absolutely trash. glad you and everything is ok but batteries are definitely important equipment. Its one thing i will never skimp on.

i see people do it with fishing line all the time as well. they have the best rods, reels, lures and buy the cheapest fishing line they can.... whats the point?!
Wicked Wec

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2018, 08:53 PM »

i see people do it with fishing line all the time as well. they have the best rods, reels, lures and buy the cheapest fishing line they can.... whats the point?!
^^^^^this :bowdown:

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2018, 10:12 PM »
^^^^^this :bowdown:

X2.  My line costs are out of control!

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2018, 10:47 PM »

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2018, 11:45 PM »
X2.  My line costs are out of control!
I officially hate superslick. time to go maxcuatro

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2018, 05:37 AM »
Also the new optima batteries suck.  I wouldn't bother with them. 

Roccus

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06:34 AM »
I'm not going to recommend a brand because everyone has their own opinion.. I will say this... always keep trolling motor batteries in an enclosed battery box.. it protects the battery...it protects your boat  and in extreme cases like this..it can protect you... I mount the breaker on the side of the battery box to make a handy battery isolation switch...I've see batteries blow up from 2 things... over charging ( once by someone leaving the trolling motor  down and running 9 miles... because a turning propeller on a trolling motor is an uncontrolled generator).. and from loose connections ( causing a spark in a newly charged battery)...the pro mariner is an excellent automatic charger... when a battery Is over charging the acid smell is over powering ..that is your first clue.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06:36 AM »
I would be careful buying anything at Walmart. Some of the name brand products are not the same product you get elsewhere. Reduced quality to reduce the price. Repeating myself but know of a case where a name brand fishing reel was brought in for repair. Part was ordered and wouldn't work for that reel. Turns out it was a slightly different version of a name brand reel (Zebco) to bring the cost down. Cheaper slightly different parts were used.

Also know of a guy that made anchors for Walmart. Price was agreed on for so many units and a contract was signed. When the units were delivered the vendor was handed a piece of paper that said, "This is what we are paying take it or leave it." (Lower price). Walmart has an army of lawyers and the guy did not so... Needless to say he never did business with them again.

Dirty place to do business with.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Baitbucket

« Reply #24 on: Jul 09, 2018, 09:32 AM »
The areas i keep my batteries are well ventilated. They will be going into the vented boxes i posted above as well.

I have heard good and bad about the Wal Mart batteries, same with Interstate and the Optimas. This is the first issue i have had with one in the 4 years running them. So ill chalk it up to a bad battery. If it happens again, ill be looking to replace all of them.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:56 PM »
The issue with batteries is this...its a couple very large manifacturers who make the majority and then white label or oem their stuff to be remarketed as optima, interstate, and so forth.  Thus many times its the same manufacturer with a different label.  If its flooded acid and you do not check the water level what happens to Will can happen to any of us.  I also use a promariner...I have 2 2 bank jobs.  The issue I suspect is it blew that battery during a conditioning cycle.  Which is hugher voltage pumped specifically to clean deposites off the flooded plates.  I can see how a dry battery would nuke during that cycle.  That said ill be checking and adding distilled water to mine!

Baitbucket

« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:19 PM »
The issue with batteries is this...its a couple very large manifacturers who make the majority and then white label or oem their stuff to be remarketed as optima, interstate, and so forth.  Thus many times its the same manufacturer with a different label.  If its flooded acid and you do not check the water level what happens to Will can happen to any of us.  I also use a promariner...I have 2 2 bank jobs.  The issue I suspect is it blew that battery during a conditioning cycle.  Which is hugher voltage pumped specifically to clean deposites off the flooded plates.  I can see how a dry battery would nuke during that cycle.  That said ill be checking and adding distilled water to mine!

These are supposedly maintenance free.

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:33 PM »

I do have an optima for cranking when it craps out I’ll go back to a flooded one , the other 3 are flooded and I add distilled water every boating season to all three , I’ve seen dry batteries blow on heavy equipment

Baitbucket

« Reply #28 on: Jul 10, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Got the new boxes in and was able to install one of them, they will be perfect for the two batteries under my left/right consoles. The two batteries in the back are contained in seperate side storage areas that are to small for the boxes, but thats ok since they are contained.

Baitbucket

« Reply #29 on: Jul 14, 2018, 07:05 PM »
So i got out today with the new battery. Charged to full last night..

Got on the water, and the battery in the same bay as the one that had exploded was drained down to 8.5v..

The only thing hooked to these batteries is the trolling motor and the onboard charger. The trolling motor is not plugged in while not in use. So i unhooked the charger and used a portable charger to charge the battery to full. Hooked the trolling motor wire back up (trolling motor unplugged) and left the onboard charger disconnected. It held steady at 13.5v all afternoon. No parasitic draw going to the trolling motor from what i could tell.

I then hooked the onboard charger back up to it, with no power plugged in. After an hour the battery had dropped 2 full volts to about 11.5..

I dont know how or why, but the onboard charger is sucking juice from that battery when not plugged into power... Im guessing that when plugged into power, the constant charger to full/shut off, then discharge, then charge again cycle is what caused the battery to blow.

They have a 2yr warranty at Cabelas. I got it in Feb of 2017 so im still good. Now the question is, do i return both of them to protect myself from the other charger from failing?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.