FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Proposed Regulations (Sebago included)  (Read 5077 times)

Turnbuckle

At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

seamonkey84

Re: New Proposed Regulations (Sebago included)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Was just about to post this myself. Good to hear they want more togue pulled. The small salmon I caught a few weeks ago were looking well fed.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Turnbuckle

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:08 AM »
I just don’t know if moving that slot up 3 inches will make a material difference.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I just don’t know if moving that slot up 3 inches will make a material difference.

It will make 80% of the fish the we've caught this year keepers.

The average on my boat this year is 24”-26”

Turnbuckle

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:26 AM »
It will make 80% of the fish the we've caught this year keepers.

The average on my boat this year is 24”-26”

So you would have kept them all?

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:29 AM »
if they change the salmon to 6 fish at 6 inches i could start pickling whole salmon in quart mason jars ;D  the togue fleet is basically gone, changing the slot size isnt going to change how many togue go home for the table. there just isnt enough knowledgeable togue anglers out there keeping fish and the amount of boats out there is way down from when this all started with the slot

stguy

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:33 AM »
So you would have kept them all?

Yep, one way or another they get consumed, humans, dogs, or the compost pile.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Yep, one way or another they get consumed, humans, dogs, or the compost pile.

That’s great, I just don’t see or hear many people keeping them, including myself(part of the problem).

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Not that I really care, but I don't see how this (proposed Sebago rule change) will make much of a difference when the DIFW itself shows that togue in the 23" to 26" range aren't high frequency spawners (see chart 10, page 10 in link below):

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/fisheries-reports/2014/sebagolake.pdf

stguy

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2018, 11:01 AM »
if they change the salmon to 6 fish at 6 inches i could start pickling whole salmon in quart mason jars ;D  the togue fleet is basically gone, changing the slot size isnt going to change how many togue go home for the table. there just isnt enough knowledgeable togue anglers out there keeping fish and the amount of boats out there is way down from when this all started with the slot

I think they've all been caught and educated near the North west river, I fish the entire lake and have caught some pretty nice salmon by accident, I lost one Sunday at the boat that was 4-5 pounds.

Follow that edge south a mile and a half or so and folks are getting some decent ones on floating fly line.

seamonkey84

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2018, 06:41 PM »
There are definitely some nice salmon in that lake, just not many reports of people catching them. I’ve seen some very impressive fish in the rivers during the fall in the FFO sections, but trying to get them to bite is the part that will drive you insane.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishless12

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2018, 01:18 AM »
I think it's a step in the right direction. When they first proposed the slot, I spoke out against it. Sebago togue just aren't affected by angling pressure the way they would be for several reasons:

It's a big and deep lake.

When it freezes, if it freezes, it freezes late.

It's a tricky lake to fish, the reputation of "slow-bego" discourages many potential anglers.

most people fishing open water target salmon.

Even with the increased open water access, not many people fish from October to first Ice

There's also a significant lack of education and participation in the "thin the togue" program. "Well I'm not going to eat it." Is flawed logic when you're harming the lake (and that salmon that you'll gladly kill and eat) by releasing your legal togue.

I've been saving my togue and using them as early season lobster bait in my five traps, before I have a good supply of haddock racks and other fish from running charters.

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2018, 06:52 AM »
I haven’t eaten one myself, but I keep hearing they are not very good tasting when they get bigger, other than smoking them or chowder, neither of which I can do.

stguy

« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2018, 06:59 AM »
I haven’t eaten one myself, but I keep hearing they are not very good tasting when they get bigger, other than smoking them or chowder, neither of which I can do.

That's another part of the problem, everyone "hears" they aren't very good eating.

I would rather eat the lake trout pan fried or baked in foil than the salmon, I find the salmon kind of bland.

fishlessman

« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2018, 07:32 AM »

chunked up and deep fried they taste like fried clams, dip them in home made coctail sauce.  with the price of fried clams lately, fried togue should be on restaurant menus. thats the only way i see those togue getting taken out of the lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.