MFF US Midwest > Michigan
Burt Lake
(1/3) > >>
fishinboy:
Do any of you guys fish Burt Lake at all during the summer?  We're going up there for two weeks in July this year.  I've fished it a few times in the past and have done alright, nothing to brag about.  I hear that there is good trout fishing in the area, too.  Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Tight lines.
spoonfed:
  have not fished burt in a while but we used to pick up browns when trolling for eyes.  mullet lake has some bows and lakers in it.  i fish mullet every year and get quite a few trolling by the sunken island by dodge point.  stick baits work the best.  but i have never just targeted trout either.  there are some small inland lakes in the area that hold some browns and bows.  check out this site  (  fishweb.com) go under the fish header and there are maps of lakes with a little info on the lake.  they also have reports.  good luck.
fishinboy:
Cool, thanks for the info, spoonfed. I plan on doing some river fishing for trout while we're up there, and I'll likely be targeting walleye and perch on Burt.  I'll keep an eye on the reports from fishweb.
flockshot:
good gravy..if your into river fishing for trout..take your pick...theres the sturgeon...the pigeon ...the black...and thats all with a few miles..and theres alot more then that not to far....the sturgeons ok...alot of variety..nothing to huge..but nice consistent 12ers....the pigeon is a little slower(both in current and fish) but the size is a little better..and the black...about 4 east of there..is probably the best brook trout river ive ever fished in this state(thats no understatement)...alot of over 10 consistent brook trout..just watch the regulations on size...lure types...etc...you dont want to zinged with a ticket...im looking at a book called fly fishing michigan rivers..if you have anyother questions about rivers..ill send you one of the articles on that river if you would like.
fishinboy:
sweet, thanks for the info, flockshot.  In the past, I haven't done much river fishing, but I have been trying it lately.  Last weekend I tried some little trout streams near my house for trout..no luck so far, just a bunch of shiners.  I don't have a fly rod, but I do have a really nice 51" ultralight which I have been using with 3 pound copolymer line and mepps trout spinners.  Last year when we were canoeing the sturgeon, we talked to some guys that said that they had been doing good on browns in the river.  I'm really excited to try and hook into some when we go up there.  We have a nice canoe and i have some waders, which would you recommend using?  I'll have to check out those other rivers, too, especially the black.  I've never caught a brookie and would really like to.  That would be awesome if you can send me the articles on the black or the sturgeon.  Thanks again.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version