FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512940 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2415 on: Jul 08, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Pulled the potatoes this morning.

For the first attempt at a small planting of potatoes, I'm really pleased. I'll probably have to freeze some for soups and such as they're both early, thin skinned varieties. Norland Red and Yukon Gold. Next year it's going to be a couple of potato bins I think. Russets and some thicker skinned, storage potatoes.

I'll be planting snow peas in they're place.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2416 on: Jul 08, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Nice job Bob..
Planted some years ago and got over 100lbs..  I didnt have luck freezing them but did have luck making garlic smashed potatoes and freezing it...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2417 on: Jul 08, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Looks like typical veggie freezing. Blanching, ice water etc. I can see the enzymes doing damage if they're not heated all the way through.

Garlic smashed taters eh? Got a recipe?

I was also thinking about some little mashed potato casseroles in small baking dishes. Sort of like twice baked only from frozen.

Garlic is browning off. I'll give it another week and than pull that too. The spinach is bolting so that bed will get re -planted.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2418 on: Jul 08, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Nice early harvest, Bob!  :clapping:
Did they come out of the buckets?

If you cube and blanch them, they'll freeze well. You can buy frozen "home fries" and that's all they are. Or, you can fully cook and mash them without butter or milk, dehydrate, and you've got shelf-stable instant mashed potatoes.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2419 on: Jul 08, 2018, 05:01 PM »
ThanksBill..... they were in the beds. I was pleasantly surprised.

I think I'm going to keep the freezing simple. Diced, blanched and vacuum packed. Right now they're resting in the basement on trays in the dark.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2420 on: Jul 08, 2018, 07:48 PM »

I was gonna say Bob, they will keep for a long time in a root cellar  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2421 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:34 AM »

I remember both my Grandmothers having the "root cellar" . There were apples, potatoes, onions, all sorts of canned fruits and veggies and, of course, the pickle and sauerkraut crocks.

I don't know that these are going to keep all that well being really thin skinned varieties, so, I'll do some freezing.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2422 on: Jul 09, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Well, I picked up seed for carrots and snow peas for my replanting. Gotta do some tilling and reconditioning on the bed, but, it won't take long.

Rg 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2423 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:24 PM »

And keep them in a cardboard box or open paper bags.

I had the same 2 varieties and they lasted me until December. I do the same with beets.
Wicked Wec

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2424 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Checked them this evening. They're skinning up really nice. Cut up some Norland Reds and cooked them in parchment paper on the Weber to go with our steak and garden spinach. They were very creamy in texture. That's the only way I can describe them other than damned delicious.

Taters are on my planting list from now on.

Rg

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2425 on: Jul 10, 2018, 06:31 AM »
yeah i love potatoes fresh from the garden. even better when used in a freshly picked mushroom soup or gravy.  this year i gre red bliss, yukob gold, and some sort of purple potato. also great with fresh dill.
Wicked Wec

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2426 on: Jul 10, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Shared some taters with my neighbor. She reciprocated with a bag of green and wax beans,

Gotta like sharing the bounty.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2427 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Here's the current gardens
The sunflower patch

Asparagus, garlic, spinach and wildflowers

Wildflowers and strawberry bed

The mutant zucchini plant ( the white stuff is need oil residual)

Tomatoes, wildflowers and pickles

The leftover pickle plant patch

The first blossom on the new clematis

Though planter with spinach and carrots

More flowers, tomatoes and peppers

The morning glory trellises ( or is that trelli)

The front planting with window boxes, hosta, plantains and oxalis

The Mother's Day flower garden

Window boxes

The volunteer sunflowers

And a volunteer zucchini that's growing out of my compost bin.

Everything's growing well. I'll be harvesting pickles this weekend.

Rg

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2428 on: Jul 11, 2018, 08:54 AM »
VERY nice RG!

I picked all of my currants yesterday, some cabbage, cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, eggplants, squash, carrots and peppers. I also see that my purple and white Kohlrabi is ready so I may have to make a venison stew this week. I planted 18 potato plants of each variety so those will last me for a long time, at least October. Also, I leave my potatoes in the ground until September or later. They are good in the ground until the plants start to die.

And here is what I made for dinner using fresh chicken eggs and chicken from the coop and veggies from the garden.

Wicked Wec

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2429 on: Jul 11, 2018, 02:39 PM »
That's some fine fare. You're a good cook!

We share an appreciation for fine eating utensils.

I eat with chopsticks a lot. Keep a pair in my locker at work. Funny to see the looks I get from the 20 something's. I tell them over a third of the world's population eats with chopsticks. I'm just going with the flow ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.