The Fisherman's Wharf > Clean-em Cook-em Eat-em

mushrooms

<< < (2/3) > >>

fishercat:

--- Quote from: Grizz on Aug 14, 2005, 01:36 PM ---I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD ANSWER ME THIS. I WAS TOLD IF THE UNDERSIDE OF A MUSHROOM WAS BLACK WHEN PICK, IT WAS POISONOUS. AND ALL OTHERS ARE EDIBLE TO EAT. IS THERE ANY TRUTH TOO THIS?

--- End quote ---
As someone that picks wild mushrooms I would not go by that advice.  :sick: :sick: :sick:

hunter13:
my freind that picks mushrooms  says they only grow by oaks  i dont plan on picking them just wanted to look around my hunting woods to see if i find any so i can take my freind back and show him but if they grow in other spots  besides oaks then that info would be nice

hunter13

Smokenmirrors:
There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters... But there are no old bold mushroom hunters.
I would exercise extreme caution as there are many look a like shrooms that can make you deathly ill. There is no sick like mushroom sick...
I suggest trying your local mycology club or finding an I. The know local.
They are beautiful and I've enjoyed many great meals with wild mushrooms
Good hunting.
Regards/ Smoke

SHaRPS:
The bottom being black is completely false. COMPLETELY ! For example - black trumpets are all black and they are one of the most highly prized edible wild mushroom. Most of the time -  any mushroom that bruises blue is trouble.

Grizz - you are correct. 99% of mushroom hunters will not tell you where they are and this is because it takes years and many miles on foot to find some of these TINY patches that are there and then gone.

As far as Hens - they grow on or around Oaks and Maples.

Side note - if you find a chicken mushroom on a conifer - it can cause stomach upset. I would recommend to stay away from these.

TrentBill:

--- Quote from: SHaRPS on Jul 02, 2015, 01:57 PM ---The bottom being black is completely false. COMPLETELY ! For example - black trumpets are all black and they are one of the most highly prized edible wild mushroom. Most of the time -  any mushroom that bruises blue is trouble.

Grizz - you are correct. 99% of mushroom hunters will not tell you where they are and this is because it takes years and many miles on foot to find some of these TINY patches that are there and then gone.

As far as Hens - they grow on or around Oaks and Maples.

Side note - if you find a chicken mushroom on a conifer - it can cause stomach upset. I would recommend to stay away from these.

--- End quote ---

Well, that clears things up. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version