FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15690 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Sparrows don’t  seem to like the extra light in the box. They like a dark cavity to nest in. Bluebirds are pretty adaptable. They don’t seem to mind. It’s another reason the slot type box seems better. More light in the nest cavity.  Don’t know what the Martins would think of it.

Worth a shot though.

Woke up thinking about how to make more little cedar shingles for the roosting box. Worked out a fixture for the band saw...I think. I’ll give it a try when I get home this afternoon. I’m thinking I might put a temporary feed tray near the opening to help encourage them to investigate the roost.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2020, 09:24 AM »
So...my Bride doesn’t get out much these days and takes a lot of pleasure watching the birds at the feeders and bath. They love our bird bath.

I’ve been pondering  how to make a heated bird bath so they can use it all winter long. Looked around at heaters made for bird baths and they were way overpriced. Thought about an aquarium heater but they were too low a wattage. Had a few other ideas but they all ended up in the $40-50 range.

In my search I bumped into a YouTube video of a bath that used a heated pet water bowl.

Voila!

Tractor Supply....$20. Holds 1 1/2 gallons of water so I filled it with rocks to give the birds something to stand on. I think they’ll appreciate me.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2020, 10:21 AM »
That's a great idea..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2020, 10:14 PM »
I'm going to do the same thing. I Have one for my chickens , why not put out another one for my other feathered friends .

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2020, 04:34 AM »
The cashier at TS told me she used one for her chickens. When I told her what I was going todo she said she was going to buy another for the song birds.

28 out and its not frozen at all.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Didn’t take long for the birds and squirrels to find the water. They were in and out quite a few times yesterday. Just drinking. Too cold out for a bath I guess.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Stupid question RG. What if they do the bird bath in really fridgid temps like below zero? Could it be harmful or do they immediately shake off the water?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2020, 01:41 PM »
I doubt they’d take any serious dip in really cold weather, but the back of my house is white and faces due south. It’s always 10-20 degrees warmer back there.

My Bride is my observer. She says the birds are drinking a lot but not jumping in for a bath. They’re probably smarter than I think.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2020, 02:05 PM »
I doubt they’d take any serious dip in really cold weather, but the back of my house is white and faces due south. It’s always 10-20 degrees warmer back there.

My Bride is my observer. She says the birds are drinking a lot but not jumping in for a bath. They’re probably smarter than I think.

Rg

;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

old man river

« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2020, 02:53 PM »
 i still have Blue birds here coming to bird feeder every day

bird feeder for blue jays sparrows juncos red breasted rose finch
mostly has sunflowers bits, crushed peanuts  pistachios 
ralph

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2020, 06:31 AM »
We have a wide variety of birds at our feeders. We only feed black oil sunflower. It limits the English sparrows and starlings. Our suet feeders attract all kinds of clingers. We have house finches, purple finches, gold finches, Nuthatch, juncos, titmice,grosbeaks, cardinals, downys, hairy woodpeckers, chickadees and even the occasional pileated woodpecker.

We seldom see the bluebirds at the feeders. I’ll probably put out a couple of mealworm blocks for them when I mount the roost box. I’m thinking of incorporating  feeding stations on the sides of the box to get them to investigate it.

All the songbirds have been enjoying the water dish. Glad we put that out.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:14 AM »
The bluebirds found the roost box with their meal worm goodies.
2 eating on the seed platform

2 more coming in for a landing.

There were 5 or 6 out there just a minute ago.

We’re thrilled to help them in this fridgid weather.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:21 AM »
Nothing like complete success .....     :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:37 AM »
Almost...haven’t seen them go inside yet. But now they know where it is and I’ll keep their platform supplied.

By the way, the heated water dish is absolutely a complete success. All the birds drink. Even the bluebirds and squirrels.

Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2020, 04:14 PM »
Great job. Got it done just in time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.