FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jig/Lure Making  (Read 20960 times)

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
Re: Jig/Lure Making
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Hey OTIS, I did some searching for you and I found a great site for you that has everything tou need to make anything you need. It has the molds to make jig heads, weedless jig heads, lures, sinkers, and special purpose. It even has all the accessories to make the lures as well: hooks, weed guards, wire forms, and a lot more....Let me know what you think and how you like it.

Hope this helps anyone looking for these items

HookemandCookem

Hookem ! Forget something ? I think you forgot to list the site you found !

fishfearme

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 09:56 PM »
A couple questions;

1) With the powder paint, do you just dip the hot jig into the jar?  Wouldn't that cause the powder around the jig to clump?

2) Can anyone recommend other places to order from besides than Janns Netcraft?

Thanks
[/quote]
the powder is still a powder on the jig when you quickly remove it from the powder,then it melts after.if you leave it in to long then it does clump.not so much in the jar but on the jig head making a mess.the powder in the jar should be "loosened" up often to make it easy to dip the jig.just tap the outer edges of the jar a few times with the top on.

Dave

bigchev98

• Get the Net!!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 11:31 PM »
i have just recently got interested in making my own lures and these are some of the websites i have found in my travels.

www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/
www.jannsnetcraft.com
www.luremaking.com
www.do-itmolds.com

hope this helps

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 12:33 AM »
Gander Mtn has jig molds and tying supplies
Woods and Water by Delta dam in Rome has a lot of supplies for jig/fly tying

Cabelas bought out Herters a few years ago and sell supplies for jigs.

Hope this helps

OTIS

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for all the information guy's, it's really been a big help.  I'm going to start investigating the other sited you've listed, and let y'all know how I do.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

fishboy

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 02:24 PM »
The powder paint will clump if you're not careful or if the jig is too hot but mostly if you keep the paint fluffed in the container, shake it up after every six or eight jigs or so,  it will work great! makes good bicolor heads too!  I've got a whole bunch of powder paint too.  One thing to mention is that you need to clean the eyes of the jigs before you bake them cause its nearly impossible afterwards or at least not nearly as easy as before.  Actually I have an extra vise if you need one also.   Let me know

T
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 07:08 AM »
Thanks for all the information guy's, it's really been a big help.  I'm going to start investigating the other sited you've listed, and let y'all know how I do.

Hey Otis,

You gonna give lessons ?

OTIS

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 08:32 AM »
Here is what I have found so far, (I hope this chart is readable):

Product                              www.JannsNetcraft.com                www.Staminainc.com              www.wideners.com
Lee Production Pot IV        49.95                                             59.99                                       42.5
Most Jig Molds                   28.69                                             28.5
Hooks                                6/100 or 33-38/1000                     4.70/100 or 38/1000
Powder Paint                     4 each                                            5 each
Buck Tails                             4 each                                            3.00 each or 10/26.55
Thread                               1.25 each                                      .99 each
Flashabou                          3 each                                            3 each

I've found that there are different kids of thread, but I haven't done much research on what the differences are other than the thickness.  I haven't had the chance to order anything yet, but there are benefit's as to where you order from because some places have free shipping.  I haven't done too much research on hook prices, but I have to believe that there are cheaper places out there.  Once I determine exactly what hooks I need I will post those sites as well.  I also would like to do a little more research on the powder paint, and see if I can find cheaper prices on that also.  For starters I plan on purchasing the Lee Production Pot IV melting pot this weekend.  I'll keep everyone posted on any additional research I do on this topic.  (Can you say anal retentive! ::))
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

quietman41

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 11:03 AM »
i have just recently got interested in making my own lures and these are some of the websites i have found in my travels.

www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/
www.jannsnetcraft.com
www.luremaking.com
www.do-itmolds.com

hope this helps
A quick note on the powder paint.  Put it in a separate container and shake the jar good first.  To prep the lead for a better finish I first lightly file any mold lines off, then I scrub the lead with white vinger to clean the lead followed up with soap and water and rinse.  Heat per the instructions and dip. I then use a rack like the ones offered at cabelas for BBQing wings on a cookie sheet and then bake them per the instructions,  You can not beat the finish. To clean the hook after i just use a sharp hooby knife to scratch the excess off.

quietman41

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 11:05 AM »
oops hit quote on the wrong message :-[

bigchev98

• Get the Net!!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 12:45 AM »
i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem i have.  most jig mold websites call for lead but it is illegal to use lead in Maine. i was wondering what others have been using and where i can buy/pickup lead-free metals to melt down for the molds?  i got to excited to start making my own lures that i forgot to think this one through.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 07:53 AM »
BigChev98
I read the rules for the state of Maine and unless I missed it I saw no rules about not using lead. I saw a rule about Purchasing or selling no lead sinkers under 1/2 oz. Much the same as NY. Still a way around it if you make your own and do not sell a sinker under 1/2 oz to my understanding it is still legal to do this. As far as jigs go they are considered a lure not a sinker. If you have a diffrent set of rules for them tell us about it I would like to know where it is in your rule book as I said I did not see it. Or call your local management officer and ask them 1 on 1 to clarify it. As the rules read here in NY it is against sale of lead sinkers not against the building of them or use of them. Their are ways around the lead issue it is costly but can be done.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

bigchev98

• Get the Net!!
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 03:00 AM »
Coldfeet,
i just talked to a local game warden about the lead issue and he said that the law is made for selling of lead lures not production.  he told me that its more aimed at manufactures to try to get them to use lead-free weights, and if i wanted to make my own jigs i was more then welcome to do so. :D i just assumed that if the law said i couldn't buy lead weights that it was illegal. i appreciate the responce coldfeet.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 07:30 AM »
bigchev98
 Your more than welcome. Thats whats great about this sites. Now you have a clear path to make all the jigs you need.  I myself have been makeing open water and hardwater jigs for a while now and find it really rewarding doing it. I even have gone to the point now of makeing my own ice jig molds. Go to a scrap yard buy some aluminum flat stock and design out what you want for a jig, lay it out on the flat stock and I use a Dremmel tool to gind out the cavities. So far it has worked really good. I also found if you need to adjust size and shapes I have found to use JB Weld to fill the cavity back in and regrind it to get the shapes I want. I also found that if you want to change the weight but not size use a Electrical solder it is lead free made of tin and antomony half the weight of lead for a nice slow drop it is a little costly doing this but at times it does make a diffrence in catching or not catching. I would say for a supplier I use JannsNetcraft 90% of the time they are fast and pretty reliable for the supplies you need.
Good Luck
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

rockhound57

• can't wait to fish
« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2007, 06:05 PM »
bigchev98
buy/pickup lead-free metals to melt down for the molds?  i got to excited to start making my own lures that i forgot to think this one through.

I suspect it's too late to matter, but try lead free solder, the new standard for plumbing. I couldn't guess the relative cost, but it's readily available          :-\ ;) :tipup:
Too Soon Old - Too Late Smart!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.