FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jig/Lure Making  (Read 20961 times)

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
Re: Jig/Lure Making
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 10:39 AM »
Thanks for all the information guy's, it's really been a big help.  I'm going to start investigating the other sited you've listed, and let y'all know how I do.
I still buy stuff from herters all the time? Are you sure that cabelas owns them?
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 10:52 AM »
I still buy stuff from herters all the time? Are you sure that cabelas owns them?

yes

vivlamored

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 10:57 AM »
yes

Must be they just use the herters name they send a cataloge every year loaded with stuff
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

bwalleye

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 07:13 PM »
A number of years ago, I was searching for Herters on the web.  My grandfather always made the stop in Minnesota on his annual trip to lake Itasca.  Anyway, herters.coms page had a notification that Cabela's had purchased Herters and thank you very much for my interest in Herters etc, etc, etc.  The site now reads quite differently.  By clicking on the link below, you can see what I mean.  "Dunno" what it all really means.  By the way, what in the world does "Cingular....now the new AT&T" mean.  Is it AT&T or is it Cingular?  Is it Cabela's or is it Herters? 

http://www.herters.com/

vivlamored

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007, 07:49 AM »
A number of years ago, I was searching for Herters on the web.  My grandfather always made the stop in Minnesota on his annual trip to lake Itasca.  Anyway, herters.coms page had a notification that Cabela's had purchased Herters and thank you very much for my interest in Herters etc, etc, etc.  The site now reads quite differently.  By clicking on the link below, you can see what I mean.  "Dunno" what it all really means.  By the way, what in the world does "Cingular....now the new AT&T" mean.  Is it AT&T or is it Cingular?  Is it Cabela's or is it Herters? 

http://www.herters.com/
Sorry I must have had a brain F@RT I order from hagens it has a huge selection of what i need. Sorry about that.

bwalleye

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Sorry I must have had a brain F@RT I order from hagens it has a huge selection of what i need. Sorry about that.

happens..............

Hollywood703

« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2008, 07:50 AM »
Here is a great link if you are just getting started as well.....I have learned a lot from it:

http://www.tacklemaking.com/default.php?pageID=42

woodsman

« Reply #37 on: Apr 11, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Does anyone use used lead tire weights for melting down for jigs?
Would the lead be too dirty & cause problems? I know steel clips would need to be removed but a source free lead is something to think about.

Rick
Living proof \"that beer builds better bellies\".

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #38 on: Apr 13, 2010, 06:39 AM »
The lead tire weights can be used execpt they are not the best choice. The lead is dirty and not pure lead so to speak. The best thing is get them anyways then go get some good lead and melt it all together and clean off the scum as it melts. Pour it into ingots and use this. The more times you melt the lead the cleaner it gets and better casting of jigs happens. Get some good lead from plumbing supply companies who still handle SV cast iron pipe they sell big ingots for joining these pipes together with okum and lead runners. Much of my lead came from jobs I worked on replacing water mains. Some of the older mains had these lead joints and lead services to houses. Replacing many of these I got to keep many peices and have a few hundred pounds lieing around. Also check with scrap yards in your area at times they have lead there and you pay the going scrap rate for it. Another option is go to gun center and get a bag of lead shot used  for reloading. This lead is good stuff soft and pure and already pretty clean. A bag of # 2 shot will be better than a bag of 71/2 as you wont get as much scum from melting this.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

woodsman

« Reply #39 on: Apr 17, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Thanks for your reply Coldfeet.
Living proof \"that beer builds better bellies\".

ominousone

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 10:22 PM »
I didn't read through the whole thread, so sorry if I am reposting any infor that you all have heard.  For any information on this subject, join www.tackleunderground.com  goto the wire baits forum and you will have a TON of info.  stamina, jann's netcraft, and barlows will pretty much get you anything you need.  I like stamina, but they are missing a few items and are more expensive on a few items... shop around.  When you get talking jigs, it's lead hooks paint, and.... skirts... goto fishingskirts.com  great stuff.  In case you have been living in a cave for the past couple of years, they have living image skirts... imo the finest skirts on the market by far.  take apart a bic pen, grab a piece of wire and make your own skirts, or better yet grab some thread (kevlar or otherwise) and tie your own skirts (or grab some wire and wrap your own).  If you all get good with powder painting please give me some insight, I am really really stupid when it comes to powder painting and fluid beds etc.  If I were to get into to jig making knowing what I know now, I would never pour them or paint them... I would buy skirts and tie skirts and have a beautiful finished product in a short amount of time.  I think that my rambling is over, sorry for the long post guys.  Feel free to p.m. me if you have anymore questions, I would be happy share any info I have.  And please remember that tacklemaking is slightly more addictive than crack, heroin, and cigarettes combined.

guinea

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06 PM »
I don't know how I missed this thread earlier...this is great!

I just started my new lure making addiction/hobby...starting with spinners since they are pretty simple. I haven't had a chance to get out much, but I did catch a few perch one one..it felt good to catch them on my own homemade stuff!  ;D

I'm ahead of myself and thinking about ICE...about to try some pimples. (I just ordered powder paint today)

I got the idea of making them from stainless steel tubing (which I happen to already have) from the lure making book by C. Boyd Pfeiffer. Most supply companies sell it. It touches on several types of lures; I'd recommend it.

BBK

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I make jigs and soft plastics.  ;D

Been using wheel weights for a long time, works fine for most of my molds. I'm averaging 50lbs of lead per month going into jigs and being sold.

guinea

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 08:30 AM »
I haven't gotten into lead melting yet, but I know I will eventually!

So if you are using tire weights, I might be able to get away with old chimney flashing?
(My BF will be wondering where his scrap metal is going)  :whistling:

BBK

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 09:04 PM »
I haven't gotten into lead melting yet, but I know I will eventually!

So if you are using tire weights, I might be able to get away with old chimney flashing?
(My BF will be wondering where his scrap metal is going)  :whistling:

Yes ma'am. Flashing is almost pure lead and is a much better choice than wheel weights. If you get into lead melting, give me a PM and I'll send you to some places to get cheap molds and hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.