FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Replacing wooden floor  (Read 4380 times)

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
Replacing wooden floor
« on: Mar 20, 2011, 05:48 PM »
I have a 14' sylvan super snapper deep v aluminum boat with some rotted spots in the floor..Id like to replace with marine plywood, but am leary of drilling out the rivots that hold up the bench seats in front and rear...anyone do this? I will post some pics of the boat soon..I guess my biggest concern is not being able to re-rivot the bench seats....? any suggestions appreciated
    A Country Boy can Survive!

Thor

Re: Replacing wooden floor
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2011, 07:22 PM »
You're someone I turn to for advice, and I don't know enough to help you.  I would think that Sylvan would have riveted the seats into the boat before they put the floor in.  If so, shouldn't it come out without dismantling the seats?  Maybe you can carefully cut the old floor into a few pieces while it's still in place to remove it more easily.

crazysnake01

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2011, 07:40 PM »
When i replaced mine i cut ahole and found the sub floor and then replaced it in sections with marine plywood in case i ever had to replace it again. i carpeted each section by itself. Each section is half the width of the boat. i also painted the plywood before i put the carpet on with staples. Worked great for me.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Im humbled by your post, Tom...thanks....I can tear apart a motor, fix it up and rig a mean fishin boat, but this is the first time Im replacing a floor...As soon as the snow melts off the cover, Ill take pics, but Im pretty certain I have to remove the bench seats...my concern is re-riveting them back in..they are large rivets...I wonder if I can rent such a big rivet gun?

Thor

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Well, being that I'm not too handy, I myself would consider calling Sylvan and asking if I could speak with someone who could give me some advice as to how the floor would have been installed and see if they had any recommendations on how to replace it. 

But then again, I'm a pest and they probably hate people like me. ;)

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Well, being that I'm not too handy, I myself would consider calling Sylvan and asking if I could speak with someone who could give me some advice as to how the floor would have been installed and see if they had any recommendations on how to replace it. 

But then again, I'm a pest and they probably hate people like me. ;)

:rotflol: :rotflol: you're not a pest...If you dont know something...ask! thats why I started this thread! :rotflol:

It doesnt hurt to try and call...

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2011, 07:38 AM »
are they the solid rivets, not hard to do. you need a setter tool and the rivets, can find them here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-rivets/=bzhzx2

you need access to both sides and someone to hold the back side with a solid object like a 3 pound hammer. do a few practice pieces on the bench til you feel comfortable then take the bench out.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2011, 12:28 PM »
thanks fishless....what about the floor itself? the wood is attached to the bottom by rivets as well..smaller ones...can I use stainless self tapping screws instead? they are attached to crossbeams a few inches off the hull.

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:14 PM »
would think that would work, would try and put it back in the way it was. i replaced all the rivets in my old 12 foot  row boat, cant say it wasnt alot of work, used roof tar between the joints, been leak free for about 10 years now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.