FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Whitewater SP  (Read 791 times)

rivereddy

Whitewater SP
« on: Jul 03, 2022, 07:25 AM »
A break in the heat gave us a chance to camp for a couple of nights at Whitewater SP. We stayed Tuesday and Wednesday nights and prettty much had an entire loop to ourselves.  Tuesday afternoon we ran into a little crowd down at the Brookville tailrace. Much fishing, but little catching.  The next morning we put the canoe in on the lake inside the park. I guess it's just a sign of the times, but the lake was experiencing a major algal bloom.  We broke out the ultra lights, tiny jigs and, working the shore, proceeded to run it up on generally small bluegills and crappies.

It seems like every July this scenario occurs - kind of a piscatorial "Groundhog Day". A puff of wind requires me to lay my pole down and pick up the paddle to adjust the boat's position so my wife has a clear shot at the fish. I lay the paddle down and pick up my rod whose jig had lain on the bottom for 30 seconds or so.  I pick up the rod and, dang, I'm snagged on the bottom... then the line moves off.  I lift and all heck breaks loose.  The culprit is a large channel cat screeching my drag and running away on 4# test.  Several minutes later I find myself trying to land a large cat that is way too large for the little landing net we use for crappies.  I finally get a good grip on the fish and, as my wife is getting her phone ready to take the picture. (Imagine reading that sentence 30 years ago.), it starts flopping around and I lose it over the side.  She takes a great picture of the splash..... This has happened at least once in each of the last 3 years.

The next morning I paddle and turn her loose with the now vintage fly rod that she made 35 years ago.  It's an amber Fenwick blank with a very slow action. all 9 feet of it bend on a cast - a joy to cast if wind is not a factor.  After dinging the gills again we headed home.  As I said, when we arrived on Tuesday night the campground was nearly empty. 48 hours later, all 400 sites were taken.

fish on,

rivereddy

wallin

Re: Whitewater SP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2022, 09:56 AM »
Place gets crazy anymore. Great place, good fishing.
Wallin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.