FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling motor/fish finder interference.  (Read 4682 times)

Hole Tender

Trolling motor/fish finder interference.
« on: Jul 07, 2015, 12:49 PM »
I recently bought a Minnkota Powerdrive V2 with Ipilot. My previous trolling motor was a Minnkota All Terrain with my humminbird 788ci HD di transducer mounted to it. The fish finder worked great on the old trolling motor, but not on the new.  I get a bunch of interference with the new motor running unless it is on the very highest speed. I went through all of humminbird's suggestions to eliminate electrical interference (rerouted wiring, added a ground, bought a new battery to run the fish finder by itself). None of that worked so I uninstalled everything except the transducer mounted to the motor. I wired the fish finder to battery sitting on the workbench in my garage so the only part near the trolling motor was the transducer and mount. I turned on the trolling motor and still had interference. next, I took the transducer and mount off of the motor and the interference stopped. If I touch the running trolling motor with any part of the transducer or mount, the interference shows up. The interference must be coming from noise/vibration from the motor. I layed a piece of neoprene on the motor and pressed the mount to it and it slightly decreased the interference but not significantly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Keith Walters

Re: Trolling motor/fish finder interference.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Call Minn Kota.  I believe Minn Kota and Hummingbird are built by/owned by the same company.  As "partner products", Minn Kota should have answers for you.
Best of luck working this out.
Good fishing,
keith

Hole Tender

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2015, 01:32 PM »
I will call them again when I get the time. The other day I called after reading the interference section of their support page online. I was on hold for 18 minutes and then the lady referred me back to the support page online. I tried everything they suggested online. I want to try everything possible before I spend that much time on hold again.

icefishing J

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2015, 06:23 PM »
my Friend was told that the transducers in any of the i pilots
won't work with di fishfinders. his did the same thing. There
is a video on  youtube on how to put a di transducer on your
motor,  my Friend did it and it works great.

Mathesino

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I had the same issue. Check the transducer setting and see what Kh it is set on. Mine was set at 800KH and it needed to be set to 400KH. Hope this helps

jopes

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2015, 09:52 PM »
I have a lowrance and if the sensitivity is set to high it will have horrible interference.

slamber

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2015, 12:14 PM »
Have you tried the ferrite rings? You wrap the cord around them and they help to reduce the noise. They are meant for the power-cord but it may work on the transducer cord also. Humminbird will send them to you for free.

Also try searching and posting on the below forum, they are very active and helpful.

http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-sonar-gps/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.