FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Three Streams, Three Fish  (Read 3805 times)

bogtrotter

Three Streams, Three Fish
« on: Dec 05, 2020, 04:32 PM »
I fished three streams in my neck of the woods from around 11 AM to 4 PM.

The weather was, to put not too fine a point on it, quite simply foul.  It started around 35 degrees and gradually dropped to about 30, and intermittent showers of rain and (later) sleet fell pretty much the whole time.

I started on the South Branch of the Hoosic and fished first below the Cheshire Harbor dam, then from Mullen Mayflower to the falls below Elm Rock, and then finally (as a stopover on my drive to the next stream) the outlet of Cheshire Lake. 

The stream level on the South Hoosic was just shy of "roaring."  With the possible exception of what might have been a light tap from a small brown at the last spot (although I couldn't be certain), I didn't have any action whatsoever, so I resumed my quest.

Continuing my drive south to Pittsfield, I hit the NW Housatonic in Pittsfield, both above and below the dam along Waconah Street, but, once again, nothing doing.  That really surprised me, because you can usually count on at least catching a few sunfish or perch below the dam there.

Finally, I turned around and headed back, to the Greylock Glen in Adams, where I managed to haul out three strapping (4") brookies to save the day.

stripernut

Re: Three Streams, Three Fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Nice save!

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Way to stay after them Jim.  I fished the Westfield branches on Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday was a short trip due to the rain and snow but I managed to pull in 3 rainbows in less than an hour.  They were actually quite aggressive and I saw a couple come clear out of the water and miss my fly.  Sunday, I actually busted out the spinning gear and some worms but I was unable to connect at my first spot which i fished for over an hour.  I went back to where I was saturday and landed 4 more rainbows and lost many more than that.  They didn't want to commit like saturday but I manage to coax a few into biting the fly (put the spinning rod down at this spot).
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2020, 09:04 AM »
I fished three streams in my neck of the woods from around 11 AM to 4 PM.

The weather was, to put not too fine a point on it, quite simply foul.  It started around 35 degrees and gradually dropped to about 30, and intermittent showers of rain and (later) sleet fell pretty much the whole time.

I started on the South Branch of the Hoosic and fished first below the Cheshire Harbor dam, then from Mullen Mayflower to the falls below Elm Rock, and then finally (as a stopover on my drive to the next stream) the outlet of Cheshire Lake. 

The stream level on the South Hoosic was just shy of "roaring."  With the possible exception of what might have been a light tap from a small brown at the last spot (although I couldn't be certain), I didn't have any action whatsoever, so I resumed my quest.

Continuing my drive south to Pittsfield, I hit the NW Housatonic in Pittsfield, both above and below the dam along Waconah Street, but, once again, nothing doing.  That really surprised me, because you can usually count on at least catching a few sunfish or perch below the dam there.

Finally, I turned around and headed back, to the Greylock Glen in Adams, where I managed to haul out three strapping (4") brookies to save the day.

Jim,

Do you think the 4 inch brookies were native? Mass does't plant fish that small do they? Or do they in streams?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Jim,

Do you think the 4 inch brookies were native? Mass does't plant fish that small do they? Or do they in streams?

Natives, especially up his way.  You should see the size of the native brookies in the swift.  They have seen huge increases in numbers the last few years.  They are getting well over a foot long and the browns that eat the small ones are getting over 10lbs.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2020, 02:21 PM »
Natives, especially up his way.  You should see the size of the native brookies in the swift.  They have seen huge increases in numbers the last few years.  They are getting well over a foot long and the browns that eat the small ones are getting over 10lbs.

Wow that is really cool!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2020, 06:58 AM »
Way to stay after them Jim.  I fished the Westfield branches on Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday was a short trip due to the rain and snow but I managed to pull in 3 rainbows in less than an hour.  They were actually quite aggressive and I saw a couple come clear out of the water and miss my fly.  Sunday, I actually busted out the spinning gear and some worms but I was unable to connect at my first spot which i fished for over an hour.  I went back to where I was saturday and landed 4 more rainbows and lost many more than that.  They didn't want to commit like saturday but I manage to coax a few into biting the fly (put the spinning rod down at this spot).

I fished Sunday morning...froze and caught nothing.  I forgot to wax my guides so they froze up fast.

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:24 AM »
I fished Sunday morning...froze and caught nothing.  I forgot to wax my guides so they froze up fast.

I tried the farmy for a few hours before the storm on Friday thinking the front would have them biting but same result as you. 
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:35 AM »
Other than the storm, are you guys getting over your drought out there? A friend in Mass showed me a picture of a natural kettle pond about a month ago out your way that is at least 3 feet down. It's the same here. We haven't had a decent rain in at least three months. Here's what a friend's pond looks like. Fortunately for me I can top off my ponds with a deep well.

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Other than the storm, are you guys getting over your drought out there? A friend in Mass showed me a picture of a natural kettle pond about a month ago out your way that is at least 3 feet down. It's the same here. We haven't had a decent rain in at least three months. Here's what a friend's pond looks like. Fortunately for me I can top off my ponds with a deep well.

We've had a lot of rain over the last month.  I don't know if its technically over but the rivers are back at their normal flows and I'd imagine most other bodies of water have recovered as well.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Flows normal by me as well. 

CMD1987

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2020, 05:08 PM »
Some lakes in central mass are still somewhat down despite rivers being more normal - so some lakes may still be low I think

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:07 AM »

Cecil, if you want to keep up to date on the state of the swift fishery, this guide provides pretty frequent updates.  He can get a little preachy but the blog is very informative.

https://millersriverflyfishingforum.blogspot.com/
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2020, 02:24 PM »
Cecil, if you want to keep up to date on the state of the swift fishery, this guide provides pretty frequent updates.  He can get a little preachy but the blog is very informative.

https://millersriverflyfishingforum.blogspot.com/

Thanks if I'm ever out that way again I may give it a try! That's one that is catch and release and flies only on at least part of it right? And once in a while it gives up a huge brown trout?

I was thinking of heading out that way this coming summer but it looks like I'll wait another year when this Covid thing blows over with the vaccinations.

westernmas

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2020, 09:19 AM »
Thanks if I'm ever out that way again I may give it a try! That's one that is catch and release and flies only on at least part of it right? And once in a while it gives up a huge brown trout?

I was thinking of heading out that way this coming summer but it looks like I'll wait another year when this Covid thing blows over with the vaccinations.

Yeah, above the route 9 bridge is fly fishing only and catch and release.  Below the bridge there is another section that is catch and release only for a certain portion of the year.  After Cady Lane, down in Bondsville you can keep up to the daily limit.  And you are correct, the huge browns are becoming a more frequent occurrence but they are darn near impossible to land.  The water is gin clear so most guys are using like 2-4lb line on both spin and fly tackle so if they get hooked they usually break you off.  I've seen trout in there exceeding 15lbs and I think they shocked one that was about 18lbs last year (or in that ballpark).
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.