FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How to clean a fish with one hand  (Read 2143 times)

zadvorney

How to clean a fish with one hand
« on: Apr 22, 2009, 04:42 PM »
I just had carpal tunnel surgery on my hand and have a big hole in my palm.  I have only 40% function in that hand (my right and I'm right handed).  The bullheads are in and I'd like a few.  Any suggestions?

fish_finder

Re: How to clean a fish with one hand
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Get one of those fillet boards at walmart, they have a clamp on one end, might help...either that or get a buddy to gut your fish for you and share them
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

rainbowrunner

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2009, 05:23 PM »
I just had the same surgery on my left hand, but I'm right handed.  Bring em to my house , and if you hold em with your left, I'll clean em with my right.  Then we eat.  I'll furnish the beers.

fish4kitty

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Fish cleaning board is a good suggestion. Maybe use an electric fillet knife also. Unless you skin'em then it is going to be a bugger.
In search of the 40" walleye.....

Gambler

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Pay the neighbor a couple of bucks or some fish and have him or her do it.
Take Care and God Bless!

Rick

zadvorney

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2009, 08:19 PM »
I think I can score some latex gloves by the weekend.  The old "double gloving it" might do the trick.  Rainbow,  I like the way you think.  Worst case I'll con my buddy to do it.  The fish board with the locking device sounds interesting.  I'l have to visit Gander towarrow and check that out.  Thanks all, Joel

fish_finder

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Here's a pic of it to give you an idea of what its about, only problem might be the board wanting to move around, but as mentioned if you could get a hold of an electric filleting knife it would def help...just make sure you don't end up having to post how to clean a fish with no hands

Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

Fish Killa

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2009, 03:15 AM »
I say tell the wife your going fishin and head to the strip bar, you will get more sympathy from the ladies. When the wife want to know where your fish are, blame it on the cougars. ;D ;D ;D

larz

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2009, 07:09 AM »
put on a board and put a nail thru their head to hold them then cut a "y"behind their head get a pair of pliers and pull off the skin usually guts and all when you pull off the skin. hopefully this will help, But you still need to catch them and that may be tuff with only one good paw.

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2009, 03:24 PM »
larz is right, I have done this,hang them with nail in head cut and pull down, good luck, ps wear rubber glove to be safe

husb0023

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Definitely pound a nail through the head... should not be too difficult to do with one arm.  Last ice season I had a broken arm and somehow figured out how to drill a hole with a hand auger, bait my hook and fillet fish :p

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2009, 05:41 PM »
You're taking the wrong approach!

Buy 2 Heineken fridge kegs and invite your friends over for a bullhead dinner. They'll take care of everything ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.