FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Clamp on Rod Holder  (Read 7233 times)

derik

Clamp on Rod Holder
« on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I've been looking around for a while now to get a clamp on rod holder for my old town canoe.  I was wondering if anyone has one that has worked well for them, most of the ones I've found are of really flimsy design or in some cases there isn't enough room in the clamp to go over the gunwale of the boat.  Anyone know of a decent rod holder that would suit my needs or should I start looking into fabricating my own mount and getting a decent rod holder?

myemmy

Re: Clamp on Rod Holder
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Downeaster make a real decent clamp on holder, will last for a life time.

derik

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2012, 08:31 AM »
I'll have to look into that one, I'm running a one man disco so it might be an issue to run a rod holder  while paddling, I'm going to have to get one and see how it goes, if it doesn't work I'll just go back to running the rod behind the seat.

loustru

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2012, 03:34 PM »
 :DDefinetly the Downeaster, I've been using them for years. Around $30.00 but worth it.

pete/ny

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2012, 04:34 PM »
I have been using TIGHT-LOK rod holders for many years going to Canada and using on many different styles of boats.Lightweight and 12 positions and all aluminum. Very secure and holds any style rod you may have.Bass Pro carrys them. hey make a lot of stuff for big Lakes trolling.

Last Cast 69

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2012, 04:41 PM »
downeaster.  no comparison.  make sure to oil them a few times a season and they will perform for you day after day after year after year....

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I myself have an Old Town, it's a Sportback square stern. Some advice with the Downeasters... you have to make sure they have the optional plate to attach that gives you more clamping area. I tried to find the best pic I have online of my setup, but this is the best I have and it doesn't show the clamp. One of the models comes with this optional plate that attaches to the holder and gives you two more "hooks" and gives you more surface area. It is essential on the gunwales of a canoe. I know because I bought two of them used and they did not have this extra piece.

EDIT: take a look at the second picture and you'll see the D-10 kit I found online. You'll pay a bit more to have this included in the box, but for a canoe it's critical.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012, 07:51 PM »

hands down , downeaster

maineduckhunter

• Alaskan King Salmon
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Downeaster for sure!!! Best place to get them is Hamilton Marine!!!

TheDL

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:34 PM »
I cheaped out and bought some from Eagle claw, they were garbage.  Now I have downeaster D-10's, they are worth it, hands down the best clamp on available
tight lines....

MEyota79

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:10 PM »
No question about it D-10's all the way

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.