FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 7166 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Ticks
« Reply #30 on: Jun 06, 2019, 07:21 AM »
There bad here. I have two tyvek white coveralls that I use for mowing and weed whacking sprayed down.  I look silly but it works. 
And believe me they like the private parts...... ::) ::)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #31 on: Jun 06, 2019, 07:43 AM »

Dom that stuff sure helps , trapp turned me on to it ,

seamonkey84

« Reply #32 on: Jun 06, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Oh, besides cats, the permethrin spray is toxic to fish. so again, be careful to follow directions! Apparently it’s safe once dry, and it’s not water soluble. I treat all my outerwear except my waders. Even then, I rarely brook or shore fish once the brush gets thick.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

woodchip1

« Reply #33 on: Jun 07, 2019, 10:43 AM »
tick control----https://news.psu.edu/story/575239/2019/05/21/research/eastern-forests-shaped-more-native-americans-burning-climate-change

taxid

« Reply #34 on: Jun 07, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Woodchip can you make that link work? It's not hyperlinked.

I tried cutting out the tick control---- and it still doesn't work.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #36 on: Jun 07, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

jacksmelt

« Reply #37 on: Jun 12, 2019, 03:40 PM »
iT IS BAD .  I mow a lot around and keep thick brush as clean as I can around my garden and yard, if I get out in the woods its up north around Chesuncook, Caribou area I have yet to pick up a tick up their.
ive heard of cases in ft. kent , eagle lake and st. francis. 20 yrs ago, the state stocked captured turkeys from downstate and released up here without treating them for ticks. now they are showing up everywhere and moose are dying in winter due to the ticks weakening them. also more diseases showing up that weren't prevalent here before. my buddy got lyme disease 3 yrs ago. was living in st. agatha. damned near killed him because they don't regularly test for it up here.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

taxid

« Reply #38 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:38 PM »
I haven't seen a tick yet in my brief stay in Maine but the mosquitos are waiting by the door before we get into the cabin! 

saltyshores

« Reply #39 on: Jun 17, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Our family, including grandsons, went to a nice camp over Father's day weekend. 10 yr old got 4 ticks, but were mostly dog ticks, then I woke up this morning with one engorged on me. I hate those things. Makes me like mosquitoes, instead.  :laugh: We didn't feel safe from ticks when we were outside.

stguy

« Reply #40 on: Jun 17, 2019, 07:01 PM »
Our family, including grandsons, went to a nice camp over Father's day weekend. 10 yr old got 4 ticks, but were mostly dog ticks, then I woke up this morning with one engorged on me. I hate those things. Makes me like mosquitoes, instead.  :laugh: We didn't feel safe from ticks when we were outside.

What's your take on why they're so bad now?

I pick at least one off every day, spent the entire day on my boat Friday and found some on me, about half of them are the little tiny ones.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #41 on: Jun 18, 2019, 06:11 AM »
ive heard of cases in ft. kent , eagle lake and st. francis. 20 yrs ago, the state stocked captured turkeys from downstate and released up here without treating them for ticks. now they are showing up everywhere and moose are dying in winter due to the ticks weakening them. also more diseases showing up that weren't prevalent here before. my buddy got lyme disease 3 yrs ago. was living in st. agatha. damned near killed him because they don't regularly test for it up here.

Just to be clear, the ticks on moose(winter ticks) are completely different from wood ticks(dog ticks), which are completely different from deer ticks(carry Lyme).
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

stguy

« Reply #42 on: Jun 18, 2019, 07:06 AM »
Just to be clear, the ticks on moose(winter ticks) are completely different from wood ticks(dog ticks), which are completely different from deer ticks(carry Lyme).

They all have one thing in common though, they all suck, literally and figuratively 

saltyshores

« Reply #43 on: Jun 18, 2019, 07:48 AM »
What's your take on why they're so bad now?

I pick at least one off every day, spent the entire day on my boat Friday and found some on me, about half of them are the little tiny ones.

I don't think ticks swim, so as they walk across the ground, leaves, grass, and brush, they get more numerous at the water's edge, which concentrates them. People spending time close to the water probably get more ticks on them.

We were at Craig Pond in Orland, and a neighbor told me everybody should expect to pick off a tick a day. Yuk!

caught_the_fever

« Reply #44 on: Jun 18, 2019, 12:26 PM »

I hear you Salty but what the mosquitoes are carrying these days can be pretty darn scary too.  We had our trip booked to Jamaica when the Zika virus thing was just heating up.  You can imagine my excitement arriving at our resort (not luxury but a decent place) only to find a small manmade water feature without any motors to move the water - perfectly still.  Don't know where there were more orgies - at Hedonism which was a couple resorts away - or the mosquitoes at that pond.  Several weeks after we got back I had a stretch of weeks where every night I would have the most excruciating leg cramps - in the few times that's happened to me in my life, I could get up stretch them out - I couldn't move without writhing in more pain. When my S/O tried to rub it out, she couldn't even make a small indentation in it - said my legs felt like rocks. 

Fortunately that was short lived but wouldn't want to be playing with EEE.  I enjoyed the good old days when you could head outside and just enjoy the outdoors experience.  The saying "Today is the good old days" makes you wonder what's coming down the pipeline! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.