FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maumee update  (Read 1040 times)

rivereddy

Maumee update
« on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:04 PM »
Just got back from an overnight trip Perrysburg/Maumee for walleye. Fished for about 3 hours yesterday, 3/27 and about 4 hours today.  Conditions: the river was low, 581, and dropping slowly. Water temp about 42 and visibility excellent for the Maumee - about 6 inches. I paid particular attention to the size and motors on boats that I saw.  Guys with 10 hps were scooting around the White Street Orleans area up to about Ft Meigs I even saw canoers out in sheltered areas -BUT - the river was low in elevation and cfs.  I've never seen it so calm.  Today was an exception.  I stand by my earlier statement.  One had better respect the river.

Everyone is eager for the run to begin and all sites were packed by 8:00 AM.  Davis and Buttonwood had no parking open as all places were taken.  Schroeders are not open yet.  The ice damage from last winter is significant.  There were still house sized chunks of ice on the banks in some places. We didn't get to fish where we wanted on a Thursday morning.I saw quite a few limits but many more anglers got skunked.  Limit catches early on are caught by guys that really know the river.  I have made the trip each of the last 10 years or so and have never seen the same condition twice.  I consider myself a rank amateur over there and was lucky to scratch out a couple of jacks.

Other news.  Out of state annual licenses jumped from 42 to 50 dollars, but the kicker is the new 11 dollar Erie/tributary permit one must possess to fish those waters from Jan 1 to April 30.  This is in addition to the regular fishing license and is only charged to out of staters.  Hmmm.

fish on,

rivereddy

Doubles Shooter

Re: Maumee update
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2019, 04:40 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm heading out to fish there for the first time in a couple weeks. My brother lives in Perrysburg and has been trying to get me out there to fish. This year the planets aligned for me. He and his son-in-law have been getting spotty action including a 10# 30" football of a fish last Saturday. He is keeping up on info for me. I'm ready to go and can be out there in 6 hours or so. It's great being retired so I can time the trip to match the run.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.