FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bubba and Neptune go Pike'N'....  (Read 1937 times)

Neptune

Bubba and Neptune go Pike'N'....
« on: Jun 18, 2007, 09:25 AM »
My son asked me to go fishing this weekend, and in particular he wanted to go "Cast some lures" for Pike.  So down to the local pike hole we went. Got there, set up the rods and the rain started.  So "Bubba" and I got under some brush for a little cover because the rain had turned into a Thunder Squall!  As we sat there listening to the rain on the water we looked at the lure box a decided what to try.  "Bubba" is 5 years old and the option to choose between SO MANY spoons and spinners was a tough one.  He finally selected a Thomas Cyclone in brass with red and white spots.  I hooked up a wire leader and the spoon and told him, "Have at it man!".  I also reminded him that if he felt something pull, to pull back even harder.

So I went to setting up my own rig, and Bubba was casting pert near the entire width of the slough we were fishing in.  When all of a sudden he yells, "Pappa I, I, I've got a fish".  Sure enough I look up and he is battling a Pike.  This was his first experience reeling in a fish while casting lures.  He had set the hook and the battle was on.  The pike was giving him quite the battle and I told my son to try and keep the fish out of the tree roots on both sides of us(which was hard for a little guy barely 40" tall and using a 5' rod). 

Well he did just great and got the fish on the bank all by himself.  I was, and still am very proud of him.  We unhooked it, and beat it on the head(Bubba's favorite part), and a smaller pike came out of its mouth(Bubba loves that).  Then Bubba went right backk to fishing and before I could even get a single cast out on the water, he had another Pike on the shore just like the first one!

He had me skunked for about an hour, he sat down and stopped fishing in order to eat some grapes and have a little juice and I got a chance to catch him!

Not bad for 2 hours worth of fishing!  And what a great way to start my Father's Day Weekend!!!

Good Fishing!

tughillmcd

Re: Bubba and Neptune go Pike'N'....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Nice Job Bubba!

icechip

• B.C. BIG COUNTRY
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Memories to cherish. Great post.

Bartman44

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2007, 04:10 PM »
Bubba's the man. Great father's day weekend indeed!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Good job on the pike Bubba & Neptune. 8)

Nice to see the little guy enjoys fishing. ;D

WW

carpcatcher

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2007, 01:38 PM »
I see your fathers day weekend was as great as mine. Nice job on the teaching and keep up the good work.
       Jim
Love 2 fish

walleye1

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2007, 06:55 AM »
Very  8)! The bottom pic is great with the mountains in the background.

Neptune

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Very  8)! The bottom pic is great with the mountains in the background.

That is Columbia mountain behind us, it is about 7000ft high and 4000ft higher than the grass we are standing on in the picture....  that is the western edge of the Rockies...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.