FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623718 times)

bcons

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #75 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Here's a sampling of my favorite springtime gill flies.

The bottom right are my "Beady Eyed Bluegill Killers".
RG

Then BazookaJoe said "If you tied those on extra strong mustads...they would be steelhead killers!"

Hmmmm rumor has it 12" perch like em too  :whistling: :whistling:
I take my semi beatup flys and use them through the ice, this one looks a bit familar reading this post.  Mighta grabbed a couple steelies, before being retired to the ice jig box.  ::) ::)

I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

wiredstone

« Reply #76 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Tied up some Swimming Caddis Pupa today. Another month and they will be hatching on the Delaware swstem...  ;D

[/quote
Saw a caddis hatch yesterday on the Mcmicheals Creek. Water temp was 49
wooo fish on. Never mind

Dark Cloud

« Reply #77 on: Mar 19, 2011, 09:44 PM »

Saw a caddis hatch yesterday on the Mcmicheals Creek. Water temp was 49

Nice! Usually its mid april till I do any good with the caddis hatch. Till recently I struggled with these bugs. I did alot of studying and reading and did quite well last year. I love to swing wets(the takes are awesome!!!) and found a few wingged wet patterns that work well, for me...
Here was a nice hatch on the big D on april 24th last year...  ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Gamma Fish

« Reply #78 on: Mar 19, 2011, 11:51 PM »
Tied up some Swimming Caddis Pupa today. Another month and they will be hatching on the Delaware swstem...  ;D

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:.....Yes Please !! ;) ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #79 on: Mar 20, 2011, 01:49 AM »
This thread is about sharing DC....pictures please....pretty please ;D

I just finished another addition to my rod collection. A 7' 6" 3wt on a TFO Finesse blank.

I ordered an Albright  GPX 3/4  and a Cortland WF3F Precision for it yesterday. I'm anxious to say the least :w00t:

Next is an Axiom 9' 5wt. Should end up a sweet pair of rods.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #80 on: Mar 20, 2011, 02:15 AM »
Went back a page for the pics...thanks.

I'm headed for a tour of the docks this morning. "Spring Rights" you know ;D  A bit of bobber jigging.

Takes me back to fishing with "The Old man" and "Stan". The 2 guys who mentored me....whether I liked it or not ;D I recall Stan's first comment to me. I was fishing a dock near him and couldn't catch a cold. He was hauling in fish after fish. He muttered something like "Jesus, another guy who can't see a bite!". Eventually I bribed him with some flies I made and he slowly offered up some information. We became friends...sort of....that is to say as long as I didn't out fish him.

He drove a beat up old Pinto that smelled like 20 lbs of dead fish inside. He had more knowledge of where and when to fish than anyone I've ever met. A real classic.

I'll be thinking of you today Stan!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #81 on: Mar 20, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I love reading those "Old Man" stories, Hope you had fun today RG!!!!--KP ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Dark Cloud

« Reply #82 on: Mar 20, 2011, 03:14 PM »
:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:.....Yes Please !! ;) ;D

These flies only catch trout and you cant fish them under a bobber,(Jedi mind tricks) you dont want any of them...

Nice build RG! We may have to start a "2011 Fly Fishing NY" thread...

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #83 on: Mar 20, 2011, 04:10 PM »
I had a ball today. Went to Seneca lake State Park first thing this morning. The crowd was thick in the backwater. I didn't see any fish caught. I went down the line a good ways and caught several large rudd...no gills.

Went to Canandaigua and it was partially frozen from last night's cold temps. What was open was gin clear. Bagged that and went home.

Had some lunch, put the bicycle on the back of the pickup, loaded a pack with a rod and stuff and headed fora backwater pond near my home. I caught tons of gills without a soul in sight. Serious fun ;D

A very nice spring Sunday.
RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #84 on: Mar 20, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Whatchumean..."Old Man Stories"?

I'll have you know, when I went to the dump yesterday, the girl at the booth had to ask if I was over 55. Of course, she's very nice and has a great deal of tact :-\.

Stan was a real piece of work. As he got older he wasn't comfortable getting in a boat any more. He wasn't going to stop fishing either. He hung out around the docks. His biggest problem there was visitors. The inevitable sight seers. They walk out on the dock and ask the same stupid question every time...."Catching anything?"

Stan would rear back with his rod and tell them "You better not stand behind me, you might get hooked!"

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #85 on: Mar 20, 2011, 05:19 PM »
That's what I meant by " Old Man " stories....The 'Ol timers you were mentored by!!! Good Stuff!!--KP ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #86 on: Mar 20, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I knew that ;D

I still have an "Old Man" around. Bob, my friend and mentor for some 30 odd years, is getting up there in age. His fishing obsession can't be measured. He and I are the only 2 fishers in our morning "breakfast club". We're all there, just about every day, for breakfast, support, stories, laughter and tears.

For Bob and I, conversation always turns to fishing. The other "Old Farts" at our table have some fun at our expense, but that's part of belonging I guess. We dissect each previous day's fishing failures and successes ad infinitum. I love it  ;D

RG

Drifter_016

« Reply #87 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:08 PM »
This thread is about sharing DC....pictures please....pretty please ;D

I just finished another addition to my rod collection. A 7' 6" 3wt on a TFO Finesse blank.

I ordered an Albright  GPX 3/4  and a Cortland WF3F Precision for it yesterday. I'm anxious to say the least :w00t:

Next is an Axiom 9' 5wt. Should end up a sweet pair of rods.

RG

Nice RG!!
Here's a little 10 1/2' Rainshadow RX7 7wt I twisted up a while ago for steelheading.   ;D

Gamma Fish

« Reply #88 on: Mar 20, 2011, 11:39 PM »
These flies only catch trout and you cant fish them under a bobber,(Jedi mind tricks) you dont want any of them...

Nice build RG! We may have to start a "2011 Fly Fishing NY" thread...

Wrong O Cloud of Darkness  :whistling: :whistling:   I asked politely !    Don't make me come down there :whistling: ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

KingPerch

« Reply #89 on: Mar 21, 2011, 07:28 AM »
I knew that ;D

I still have an "Old Man" around. Bob, my friend and mentor for some 30 odd years, is getting up there in age. His fishing obsession can't be measured. He and I are the only 2 fishers in our morning "breakfast club". We're all there, just about every day, for breakfast, support, stories, laughter and tears.

For Bob and I, conversation always turns to fishing. The other "Old Farts" at our table have some fun at our expense, but that's part of belonging I guess. We dissect each previous day's fishing failures and successes ad infinitum. I love it  ;D

RG
;) I'm going to start one of those Breakfast Clubs...Filetandrelease, Trapper, GAMMA and to wind them up from time to time, I'll have SNAGGER along. LOL!!

Good stuff RG!! --KP 8)  Nice rods by Drifter and yourself!! SWEET!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.