FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623822 times)

wiredstone

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #540 on: Aug 13, 2011, 05:06 AM »
Poppers,Poppers,Poppers last night for bass and gills. They wanted them white too. ;D
wooo fish on. Never mind

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #541 on: Aug 13, 2011, 06:37 AM »
late summer  early  fall  ....i  just  like  it a  little  cooler  and  top water  action  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #542 on: Aug 14, 2011, 12:52 PM »
hey  wired     i seen  some  of  your  work  and  it  looks  great    post  some  pictures     for  everyone  to  copy  man   ;D

and  hares ear  bead  head   and  a  mini  crease  fly  were   my morning  fun  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #543 on: Aug 14, 2011, 01:49 PM »
Found some bigger bass and bluegills yesterday morning. They took some topwater. Yellow and orange beetles did oK. But, once again, the "Beady Eyed Dace" was the work horse. They seemed to like it best after it was a bit beat up so I'm gonna downsize it a tad by thinning it out. Same story today on a different stream. I did coax some good sized fall fish with nymphs. Also had a big bass eat a 6 inch bass as I was reeling it in. Had it on for a minute or so. Couldn't control it with the 3wt and 2lb tippit.

I'm starting to restore my old #59-9 South Bend Bamboo rod. I restored it many years ago and it was ruined in a basement flood. I don't know if it will be fishable, but if nothing else, I can hang it on the wall, . I just bought another #59 - on Ebay to restore and use. It's solid and just needs re-wrapping and refinishing. It'll be good to feel the bamboo in my hand again.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #544 on: Aug 15, 2011, 06:08 AM »
after  45 years  at the  bench  i'm  doing  a  little  time  travel  today...  before  wolly  buggers  became the  rage there was a simular  fly , it  was the  first  fly i ever tied,simple  yet effective ....made with a hook and  3 different  materals  ...hook  yarn  for  tail ,chenielle body and a  hackle ...i  have  caught  eveything  from  bluegils  to  steelhead  with  this  fly   ...my  personal  favorite  color  is   hot  orange glow  yarn tail  olive body,grizzled  hackle...a  easy  fly  to  ty  and  a  easy  pattern  to  fish  ...gentleman   the  wooly  worm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1gtSghlDs

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #545 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Fly Tying .025 ;D

Sometimes simple is better.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #546 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:47 PM »
yup   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #547 on: Aug 17, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Got my new (old) #59 today. It's as solid as described. It needs a re-wrap, re-glue of the ferrules and a general cleaning. One of the tips has a slight whale, but I can deal with that. I give it a week or so and I'll be tossing flies with cane ;D

I have my original Pflueger Medalist from....a long time ago :-\...just need a proper hunk of line. I'm thinking Cortland Silk. I need to get some Pearsall Gossamer thread for the eyes........I like this stuff :w00t:

This should be fun,
RG

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #548 on: Aug 17, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Here abouts it's been DACE DACE DACE (and wooly buggers....oh yeah...and crayfish)  ;D

RG
My crayfish look pretty good RG!!!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #549 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:25 AM »
I have no doubt!
Let's see some pics bud. Are you practicing with the big rod for the Cape?

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #550 on: Aug 18, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Good lord I hope he hooks up with a striper or a bluefish with that big rod while we are gone! That's all Jr. has had on his mind since he inherited some saltwater flies!! :whistling: I feel sorry for the salmon and steelhead this fall if he doesn't connect on the saltwater!! :flex:

LIFE IS GOOD!!--KP  :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #551 on: Aug 18, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I'm sure if he doesn't, it won't be for lack of trying ;D

I've got faith in him. Y'all have a great time.

I'll be back at a particular hole...in a stream.....somewhere near me, that is holding one huge smallmouth. I lost 2, 8" smallies to it last trip. Had it on for a minute,  but the 3wt  just couldn't control it.

RG

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #552 on: Aug 18, 2011, 05:34 PM »
I have no doubt!
Let's see some pics bud. Are you practicing with the big rod for the Cape?

RG
Not really, I've had basketball camp for the last couple of days and mainly been fishin with the 5/6 wieght mainly. ;D Ill get it out soon!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #553 on: Aug 18, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Not really, I've had basketball camp for the last couple of days and mainly been fishin with the 5/6 wieght mainly. ;D Ill get it out soon!!
Work on that double haul bud! You'll need it for distance.

Here's what I consider to be the best instructional video on the double haul. Joan Wulff is poetry in motion with a fly rod. Pay attention to her foot positioning and body movements. Fly casting is an athletic motion. It uses the whole body for performance.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #554 on: Aug 18, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I'm sure if he doesn't, it won't be for lack of trying ;D

I've got faith in him. Y'all have a great time.

I'll be back at a particular hole...in a stream.....somewhere near me, that is holding one huge smallmouth. I lost 2, 8" smallies to it last trip. Had it on for a minute,  but the 3wt  just couldn't control it.

RG
That's a given!! ;) Lil' Diehard! I'm positive that if Josh get's on that stream with his 8wt.......That bass will lose! ;D

We'll take pics and send them to you once we return or.....while we're fishing!! ;)--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.