FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623737 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #885 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:30 PM »
well  i'll  always  wear   my   buffalo  hat   and  yankess    shirt     but  i'll  get  a  KP  jr   jacket  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #886 on: Dec 23, 2011, 03:20 PM »
well  i'll  always  wear   my   buffalo  hat   and  yankess    shirt     but  i'll  get  a  KP  jr   jacket  ;D
;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #887 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Great job! Taking it up a notch eh? Don't let them intimidate you. Get in there and do your best. I know that you will ;D

I bought some steelhead fly materials today. How about giving up some pics of your "specials? I could use some suggestions.

RG
Ill have to have dad take some pics and send them ;)
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

The Duke of Esox

« Reply #888 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Just bought myself a Danvise for a self-Christmas present, thanks to RG for the recommendation - did my research and looks like this is a good way to go.  Looking forward to spending some evenings learning to tie while sitting in front of the fire this winter! 

If you guys don't mind, here's a question from me as a true beginner who has never tied a fly:  Are there any books, websites, videos, etc. that you would recommend to somebody starting out?  There will be a big learning curve, but seems like a couple good references will be very helpful to get me up and running! 

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season, take care all....

Bartman44

« Reply #889 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Congratulations Duke. While there are some good books, You-Tube has no shortage of home-made videos on fly tying nowadays and is a great source for basic and complex instruction on fly tying. Just type in "basic fly tying"  or "fly tying tools"  and you should get some vids covering the basics.  For books, Dick Talluer wrote some good ones on tools and materials and modern fly tying.     

Keep it simple at first and don't get frustrated at first. It's just like anything else with a learning curve. I taught myself many years ago so here's a few problems I encounted when I was a rookie:

1. Keep the bobbin close to the hook shank when wrapping. When I started I had it much to far out. Easier to wrap when close.
2. Avoid using too much material. You'll find that a little dubbing goes a long way
3. Leave plenty of room at the head to tie off.
4. If you can't see like me, get a pair of  cheaters and make sure you have good lighting.
5. Start with simple patterns and good sized hooks  - woolly buggers not only teach you wrap material and feathers, they work well, even if you mess them up a bit.   

Good Luck

trapper2000

« Reply #890 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:28 PM »
  duke   most   fly  shops   offer    a   free  class  or   a  few  instructions  !     books  are   great  but.......   thanks  to  our  friend  the  internet  if   you   find  a  patteren  you  like   ,  lets  say  a  wooly worm   ...simply  google  how  to  ty  a  wooly   worm  flie  and   you'll   be   watching   videos   on  u tube  in  no   time ;D

fishhooker

« Reply #891 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:53 PM »
The same guy who taught me how to fly fish also taught me the basics of fly tying.  I fly fished for three years before deciding to start tying.  The decision came at the point in most fly fishermen's lives where they want to know what it feels like to catch a fish on something they themselves created.  The flies I first whipped up were ugly.  I have pictures of them and the sight of those pictures makes me cringe. However, I did manage to catch trout on those flies eventually, and that was all it took; I was hooked into something else all over again.

My mentor only gave me bits and pieces of help over the years.  Somebody mentioned Youtube, and I couldn't agree more with that statement.  Youtube has taught me quite a few tricks and introduced me to many different patterns.  I can't vouch enough for youtube. It's a gold mine!

For all the new tyers, welcome aboard. If you think just being a fisherman really beat up your budget...you're in for a surprise.  You might need an extra room in your house for the ever growing material cache. Especially if you live with a woman.  Don't let all that discourage you though. It's a relaxing, rewarding craft.  And if you do it right, and get good, it will probably pay for itself if you let it.
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

trapper2000

« Reply #892 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:52 AM »
like  i  said  u tube  is  great  , wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  back  osewgo  state  offered  a  class  for a  very  modest  fee  for  materals  and  tools  ....  i  think  i'd  ask  at  bass  pro  shops,  fly  shops  ,and  fly  clubs  .....if  you  can't  find  anything  let  me  know .....  and  i  started  tying  same  time  i  started  fly  fishing  with a  kit  someone  was  kind  enough  to leavee  at  my  dads  barber  shop  for  me  ....

The Duke of Esox

« Reply #893 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Hey thanks a bunch for the advice, guys - already been checking out some videos on Youtube!  Will try to post some pics after I have the vise and have pulled some flies together.  Happy New Year---

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #894 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:05 AM »
You're in trouble now Duke. Better start planning the addition to your house ;D

There's a neat little jaw extension that's sold for the Danvise that gives you more room to work around the jaws. I think I paid $18 for one on ebay. As you progress, you may want to add it to the vise. I found it more comfortable when working on smaller and larger files.

A word about scissors. Buy good scissors!. LLBean sells a nice set of Dr Slick scissors for around $30 that are sweet. For most of what I do I use a $4 pair that I found at Joann Fabrics. I think they were in the scrapbooking department. They're small, have a very fine point, large loops and the darned things are very sharp. You won't feel as bad about cutting wire with them either.

Before y'all start busting on me, I do electrical work in all of their stores ;)

Next; Don't go crazy buying hooks! Decide what you're going to tie and search them out on ebey. You'll pay 10% of what the tiny packs at the fly shop will cost you.

Thread; Buy the right thread for what you're tying. Pay attention to what the instructions indicate for thread. I have too many spools of thread to count, From 8/0 mono to Kevlar.

Show us some pics and as always, feel free to ask for advice.....we love to talk.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #895 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:38 AM »
You're in trouble now Duke. Better start planning the addition to your house ;D

There's a neat little jaw extension that's sold for the Danvise that gives you more room to work around the jaws. I think I paid $18 for one on ebay. As you progress, you may want to add it to the vise. I found it more comfortable when working on smaller and larger files.

A word about scissors. Buy good scissors!. LLBean sells a nice set of Dr Slick scissors for around $30 that are sweet. For most of what I do I use a $4 pair that I found at Joann Fabrics. I think they were in the scrapbooking department. They're small, have a very fine point, large loops and the darned things are very sharp. You won't feel as bad about cutting wire with them either.

Before y'all start busting on me, I do electrical work in all of their stores ;)

Next; Don't go crazy buying hooks! Decide what you're going to tie and search them out on ebey. You'll pay 10% of what the tiny packs at the fly shop will cost you.

Thread; Buy the right thread for what you're tying. Pay attention to what the instructions indicate for thread. I have too many spools of thread to count, From 8/0 mono to Kevlar.

Show us some pics and as always, feel free to ask for advice.....we love to talk.

RG
KP shops at Joann fabrics RG... (kp clears throat...) for flytying materials!! ;D In fact, when the new store opened in Clay, a short while ago, I was the first flyfisherman to walk thru the doors! It's all good buddy!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Hocfish

« Reply #896 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:59 AM »
One piece of advice for tiers is to sit down with the material to tie just one pattern, and lay out the stuff for a minimum of a half dozen flies.  If you're making wooly buggers, get out your six hooks, prep your six long saddle hackles and six color hackles and strip the fuzz, cut a piece of chenille, etc.  That way you don't rummage aroubnd your boxes looking for stuff.  Tie all six flies, and try and get them looking the same.  The key to a good fly is proportions.  Also, don't have your fly box at the vise, just dump the flies into a cup.  Otherwise you waste time fidgiting with all your flies. 

I find this is the best way if you are trying to fill your boxes.  Tie several of one pattern, get that down, and then move on to a different type of fly.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #897 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Great advice. Kinda like "Mise En Place"....a cooking relate meaning ,
ASSEMBLE YOUR INGREDIENTS.

I also find that very helpful. Really I'm a bit nutz about keeping my bench in order when I'm tying.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #898 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:12 PM »
i'm  a  slob  i  have  everything  out   and  lose   stuff   

The Duke of Esox

« Reply #899 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:20 PM »
You guys are super helpful, I appreciate it.  Probably headed up to the river tomorrow and going to pick up some tying materials while I'm there.  Seems like buggers is a good way to start. 

In case anybody out there finds this helpful, I've heard that Cooperative Extension in Ithaca puts on a nice beginner's tying class...too long a drive for me, but supposed to be good. 

Happy New Year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.