FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623931 times)

kc

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #930 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:55 AM »

Back at the bench this am. The flies to the right and in the vise are a fly I have tied for over 25 years for catching perch through the ice. Guaranteed to catch perch, bluegills and crappie. Tied with peacock herl and peacock swords.
 The flies to the left are my quick and easy stone flies for the river steel. I expect to lose a bunch so I don't spend a lot of time tying them. First time out with them I told the guy next to me that this was the closet thing I could tie that looked like the little stone flies crawling all over the snow.  I had 3 of them with me. First cast fish on, broke off. Second cast, fish on, broke off. Same thing on the third cast. I had some bad line on. Changed out the line for the next trip up, tied some more flies. Nada, couldn't buy a fish that trip.  
 Notice my hooks, the eye is straight up and down. I found them on ebay, very inexpensive and a quality mustad hook. odd size 7.
I like the over size eye for tying on in the cold weather.

KingPerch

« Reply #931 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Nice flies guys!! Kc...that one with peacock hurl looks like one I have been working on for hardwater perch...I think that one will catch fish!!

RG....those are nice...You mind shooting Josh the recipe?? ;D Thanks!!--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

kc

« Reply #932 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Hey KP they have worked for me on perch for over 25 years. A tin nocker showed me the pattern back then.
 I actually used that pattern this afternoon and caught a dozen fish with it in an hour and a half.

KingPerch

« Reply #933 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:27 AM »
I like the bigger eye on the hook as well....gotta make it easier for tying in cold weather!  ;)--KP

kc

« Reply #934 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:47 AM »
They sure do help. I used to chuckle to myself when my buddy tried to tie on a hook back in the ninety's. But now that I am getting to that age(60) I appreciate any help I can get. Eyes and hands are not what they once was.
Maybe one of these days you youngsters will take pity on an old man and let him reel a steely in. :D :D

KingPerch

« Reply #935 on: Jan 20, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Your not old...just seasoned is all!! ;) I'm 44 now...feel like 60 after almost 30 years of construction/contractor work. You may want to hit up KP Jr. for that steelie hookup!!! ;D Life is good!!--KP

kc

« Reply #936 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:50 PM »
KP I am in process of retiring from the construction business myself. Started with a local company in 1977 and other than a 1 1/2 year on another job, I have been with them ever since.
 I understand we may have similar tastes in trucks. Snagger said you have a silver Honda?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #937 on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:22 PM »
I dunno KP, He's playing that "Old Man Card" a bit too soon. Ya need to be 62 to use that KC ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

kc

« Reply #938 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I was just seeing if someone would feel sorry for me. :D I guess not. >:(
 I may not catch that many steelhead or salmon but I am still out there trying. Just going to have more time to do it.
 Have managed to meet some nice guys from the forum. Would like to meet more of you guys.

KingPerch

« Reply #939 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Construction has been my life since I was a little guy..My Grandfather, Father and fore-fathers were all in the trades. It's in the blood. RG, as far as the "Old Man Card"....You said it!! ;D Maybe KP Jr. and I can get you "Old Men", TRAPPER included, out for an afternoon on the river and TRY to catch a few of those chromers!! If not, at least we'll have stories to trade! I'm sure my boy will like to hear them!! ;) Titelines Gents!--KP

LIFE IS GOOD!!

KingPerch

« Reply #940 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:11 PM »
I dunno KP, He's playing that "Old Man Card" a bit too soon. Ya need to be 62 to use that KC ;D

RG
:whistling:

lehigh vally

« Reply #941 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:17 PM »
I was just seeing if someone would feel sorry for me. :D I guess not. >:(
 I may not catch that many steelhead or salmon but I am still out there trying. Just going to have more time to do it.
 Have managed to meet some nice guys from the forum. Would like to meet more of you guys.
I'm sure will meet up some day on the river KC   ;)

KingPerch

« Reply #942 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:18 PM »
It's a great, sun shiny day today!! Be a great picture shooting day Rob!! ;)

KingPerch

« Reply #943 on: Jan 21, 2012, 02:32 PM »
KP I am in process of retiring from the construction business myself. Started with a local company in 1977 and other than a 1 1/2 year on another job, I have been with them ever since.
 I understand we may have similar tastes in trucks. Snagger said you have a silver Honda?
2011 Silver Dodge Ram kc.... ;)

kc

« Reply #944 on: Jan 21, 2012, 02:35 PM »
well it's silver anyhow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.