FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625311 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1125 on: Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Very Nice!!! It's a fly tier's delight.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #1126 on: Jun 11, 2012, 05:43 PM »
hey fellas i'm back!  ;D been really busy with life, but i got a few free days and ,rg got me thinking about foam. trying to step out of the woolly bugger box and tied these up(my #6 version of a dragon fly) and tested them out on a lil pond!

best of the day was just under 17" not bad for trying a new style of fly,oh and the sunny's loved them so much there was no deer hair left! ;D

good to see you on here one last cast ;)

KingPerch

« Reply #1127 on: Jun 11, 2012, 05:48 PM »
i  found  that  when  you  use  a  thicker  piece  of  foam  you  can  shape  it  with  a  drumel  and  mahe  the  mouth  a  better  popper  .....  flytier  mag  has  some  great  flies  simular  to  this  ...  simple  is  usually  the  best  :)
Which flytyer Magazine issue was that Trap??? Nice foam flies one last cast!!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

one last cast

« Reply #1128 on: Jun 11, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Thanks kp,rg,and ht!!   ;D
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #1129 on: Jun 12, 2012, 07:01 AM »
Yo, Rg, I am still following you. Sorry to stay away so long. I can't multi-task as well as you. When I went back to work, I gave it my all.  Now at least I have 5 minutes to say hi. I am picking up my son's waders and going to give it a try this week end up at camp. You still have that  standing invite you know. 

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1130 on: Jun 12, 2012, 04:39 PM »
nice  one  cast!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1131 on: Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Thanks Jim. I knew that ;D

Flail that fly bud.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #1132 on: Jun 15, 2012, 10:10 PM »
tied  afew  whitlock  hoppers  ,foam  spiders  with a  white  para  post  so i  could see then  ( trouble  with  getting  old ,flies  get  smaller) and  son 16  14  and 12  bead  head  black  stone  flies  ....all  for  gills  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1133 on: Jun 16, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Lets see those hoppers Trap.

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1134 on: Jun 18, 2012, 07:29 AM »
i  will  rg  as  soon  as  i  get   my  camera  back....  i seen a  few  crickets  in the  yard  this  morning ....one  of  my  fav  .....and  bluegills and  trouts  too

BudMan

« Reply #1135 on: Jun 18, 2012, 09:21 AM »
After years of spinning reels and baitcasters finally purchased my first flyrod the other day and absolutely love learning to use it. Going to try tying my own flies this week , ones for some gill action. Only been out to the stream once and off the boat once so far. Really think I'm going to like using the boat to chase some monster gills down. I'll post what my first ever fly looks like for you guys to giggle at.

one last cast

« Reply #1136 on: Jun 18, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I'll post what my first ever fly looks like for you guys to giggle at.
some of the best flies are the ones that look the worst you ever seen! :o :o :o good luck to you budman!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1137 on: Jun 18, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Keep it simple and don't leave any bald spots on the cat where your wife can see them ;D

Foam is great to start with. Go to Wally World or a craft store and you'll buy a lifetime's worth for a few bucks. Remember to pinch the barb down on the hook, Not for C&R, but to make removing your favorite fly easier, without destroying it.

One last thing, Super Glue is the foam fly tier's friend.

One other last thing...the pet parakeet is out of bounds.

RG

trapper2000

« Reply #1138 on: Jun 18, 2012, 09:25 PM »
welcome  aboard  budman  .....   ;D  another  wasted  life  ...i love  it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1139 on: Jun 19, 2012, 01:38 AM »
Wasted you say?
Last evening, after a long day at work, (some of us still work Trap) I grabbed one of my old Lamiglas rods that I built 20 odd years ago, stuck a Martin 67SS from my collection on it, randomly grabbed a couple of boxes of flies and headed out the door to my local stream. I had 3 hours of Smallmouth, Rock bass and Bluegill fun in total relaxation. They ate foam, streamers, clousers, muddlers. parachute caddis, crayfish and beady eyed bluegill killers.......all tied with my "wasted" time.

What a perfect way to waste a few hours in total relaxation. Not a thought in my head other than "Slow down that forward cast stupid...." and "I love those furled leaders"  ;D

When I was done I had only covered about a hundred yards of water and left with a clear, relaxed mind and a big smile on my mug.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.