FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: wire leaders for topwater?  (Read 5454 times)

mrcrowley138

wire leaders for topwater?
« on: Apr 06, 2008, 10:41 PM »
I have a few topwaters that I am looking to throw this spring for pike, namely Zara Super Spooks and Wounded Spooks.  I was wondering if using wire leaders (Berkley 18") would be significantly detrimental to the lures action.  Should i ditch the leader and risk a bite off, or does the leader not affect it too much?  Thanks in advance for any advice on the subject.

Neptune

Re: wire leaders for topwater?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:21 PM »
if you get some Titanium leaders they are much lighter and much more suple than steel and will give you more than enough strength and bite proofing...  I make mine our of Malin Boa No Kink.

Good Fishing!

frog11

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2008, 05:49 AM »
Try using a 6 inch wire leader.  I use in line spinners and because of the lenght I dont need any wire leader being there's always some of the lure shaft sticking out of the fishes mouth. If you find with the lures your using there's some sticking out of the fishes mouth, I wouldnt use any wire leader there's no need and for big fish less is always better as they didnt get big being dumb. Some people use a heavey monofiliment leader #40  or 50 lb test. I believe years ago I used fireline as a leader large lb test with the small diamiter as a smaller line can fit between their teeth making it harder for them to just bite it.

frog11

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2008, 05:50 AM »
Oh,  and yes a wire leader will hurt a top water's lure action,  lol

comicodg

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2008, 06:30 AM »
I am going to try 50# Fireline with 10 # diameter. Anybody out there have experience with this? How did it work? I fish the Bemidji area for bass and the pike ruin alot of equipment.

frog11

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2008, 06:47 AM »
The fire line should work. After catching a fish look at the leader if it's frayed replace it.  Just carry the spool of fire line with you.

MasterAngler

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2008, 11:36 AM »
I am going to try 50# Fireline with 10 # diameter. Anybody out there have experience with this? How did it work? I fish the Bemidji area for bass and the pike ruin alot of equipment.

I haven't used 50# Fireline, but I tried (only briefly, bite offs too bad) 20# fireline, and 50# spiderwire stealth, both are easily bitten through even by small pike.  I have even seen 80# spiderwire stealth bitten through while guiding for pike in N. MB, when some guys have used it to catch a few walleye for shorelunch with their pike gear and no leader, and have a snot rocket hit instead.  8)  Use a real leader if you are serious about bite offs.  I have seen lots of leaders used.  Titanium are the best, and even 80-100 lb flourocarbon if you want to be more stealthy, just keep checking for abrasion.  8)
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.