FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: good lures for pike at this time of year?  (Read 5350 times)

tom1234505

• 17 years old
good lures for pike at this time of year?
« on: Jul 16, 2011, 04:48 PM »
I am wondering what kind of lures would be good to use for pike. I am fishing a slough and I know there are pike there as I have caught them there before (on a rapala countdown which i don't have any of right now). I have tried to catch them on large spinners and spoons with no luck. am I just using wrong colors? what colors do u guys recommend? also I have heard Smelt and squaw fish also known as pikeminnow work well for them, I just don't know how to really fish with them. I usually don't fish for pike so any info is appreciated!

tight lines!

Tom
<br /><br />

Bailbuster

Re: good lures for pike at this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Big Slugos  and Big inline spinners!!!

Big B Muskies

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2011, 10:11 PM »
If it is a slough It can be tuff. In the summer I look for 30 feet deep  in southern canada as most pike that are over 5 pounds are in deep cool  water. It may not be the lure that is your problem as pike are like wolves and will hit any flashy presentation but depth that is your problem. Fish the deepest water you can up to 40 feet.

tom1234505

• 17 years old
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2011, 04:24 PM »
cool thank you for the info! definantly will try deep water, and since I don't have any slugos, inline spinners will have to do. thanks again!

Tom
<br /><br />

Cobra

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Do fairly well slow rolling 3/4 or 1oz spinnerbaits in the 20' to 30' range. Deep outside edge of the weeds or along where the drop off meets the basin or a shelf are hard to beat
AKA - Swift on IS

Bailbuster

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:18 PM »
A big shinner on a jig will work as well just drift over the  drop off on a weed edge!!

SISIF

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2011, 08:05 AM »
Pike seam to eat anything I throw in, maybe they're just not there? May not be good for your particular spot and depth- but one lure I love for them is the LiveTarget Herring. Its a 3 piece jointed, and it casts far. You can pull it reeeaallyyy slow without it sinking deeper- so great for shallows spots where you have to keep close to the surface to avoid snags. The action looks really neat even super slow. My dad and I both caught our PB pikes on our first few casts with this lure.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2011, 08:58 AM »
The pike, especially the big ones, are going to be found within 100 feet of any incoming cold water.   Be it a seep, a creek or just a steep shaded bank, they will be nearby.   If you don't have cool water seeps, then try the steepest well defined weededge that is as close to "deep" water as you can get.

In terms of catching, a slow rolled spinnerbait along the bottom is absolutely deadly for these fish.   Another great lure for the heat of summer is a bass style flipping jig, or weighted plastics.  

Goatskin

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm just wondering how far off bottom you fellas are running these spinnerbaits. I have lost a lot of spinnerbaits to pike while I've been bass fishing. Its just something I never really though of using. Thanks for any help guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.