FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Open Water Pike Lure  (Read 25762 times)

Mackdaddy21

Best Open Water Pike Lure
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:00 PM »
Colorado has lakes with good pike populations, but the action is often slow as the pike are well fed.
I just want to know, what is your favorite lure for numbers of pike? I have had the most luck on big spinners, spinnerbaits, soft plastic jerkbaits, and soft grubs or soft shad bodies like sassy shads on jigheads. What do you guys like for the elusive pike?

Tyler

vancouvercanuck

Re: Best Open Water Pike Lure
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 12:39 PM »
My Berkley Frenzie lures seem to catch alot of Pike.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I'm right there with ya Van,  especially the firetiger pattern.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:18 AM »
My Berkley Frenzie lures seem to catch alot of Pike.

where could someone get these? They seem to have a lot of popularity on this site.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:35 AM »
rapala huskyjerks in various colors. clearer water i use blue/silver and for murkier water, black/silver sides work best. there's so many lures that they will hit, and at other times have no interest.. on days like this, keep trying different presentations. they sometimes get so many things thrown at them, they become dis-interested.. grump

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 02:31 PM »
Beauty Moe!  Husky jerks in perch patterns when active, 4" steelhead maribou jigs when locked up, and #5 Blue fox spinners when others won't work.  Top water torpedo lure is really fun to watch them bust on a sunny day. ;D

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:25 PM »
I like both a spinnerbait pulled right over the top of the weeds after a rainstorm and I also like a a dardevle spoon.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

red_eyes

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2004, 02:26 PM »
the flatfish + swimbaits

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:02 PM »
i love using buck tails ive had alot of diffrent species hit them while fishing for pike  ;D
tight lines, chuck

icebraker

• People who work don't know how to fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2004, 11:49 PM »
RAPALA!! all i can say
People who work don't know how to fish!!

timcat

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:27 AM »
i have a few daredevils and have yet to get a pike on one. tie on a white terminator spinnerbait and hang on. the firetiger spinnerbait has been pretty successful to.when after pike there my go to baits. they chew on anything though so don't be afraid to try it all. you to will find your favorites. have not tried the frenzy yet but will this year.
by the way, i do my pike fishing in upstate ny and in canada

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:23 PM »
I Do 2 differnt Rolly...One i have Custom made Perch Color Daredervil Spoon types done up...I like the action but don't care as much for the Old color DD spoons..So i get Perch color ones instead....But formost for Pike I'll use a spinner bait  Mepps Number 5-6 with Floresant Orange Blades with or without bucktail depending on If im in Musky territoriry or not! Anyhow Tight lines! I don't fish for them or Target them anymore but This is what i did use when i did.
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Onemorecast

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2004, 06:41 PM »
Grew up tossing a red and white daredevil on clear days and a black and white one one heavy overcast days. It always caught a lot of pike especially varying the retrieve and pulling the lure once in a while and letting it flutter. Mepps Anlia in a gold #5 blade is hot, hot, hot in the fall. Lots of others may be better lures but those oldie but goodies work well for me.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2004, 07:30 PM »
A wide bladed, gold colored spinner pulled slowly through the water. Cleo's also. If I'm fishing shallower waters, which I normally am, I really like buzzbaits. I'm a buzzbait freak. Have lots of them. All kinds, colors, and sizes. With finecky pike, if you pull that buzzbait over his head enough times eventually he's going to get pi$$ed and kill it.
Harold

Fish Stick

• Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2004, 08:19 PM »
A Mepps #5 Black Fury (dressed or plain) has allways been good for lots of
"Hammer-Handles" for me.
If your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems start looking like nails.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.