MyFishFinder By Species > Bluegill

Keeping size?

(1/4) > >>

busler15:
Ive never fished for bluegill's before, for i thought they were a useless fish! I am able to catch them by the dozen off my dock, but these are tiny! What is a good "keeping" size for bluegill. Ive heard six inches and above will get you a good meal, but I havent cleaned them yet so I do not know. Also, where should I fish for what i hear are "bull" gills. All ive ever seen out of my lake are under six inches, but Ive seen a few nice ones, although ive never really looked.
Any help would be great! Thanks, Spencer

bigredfishing:
I keep 'gills only 8" or better.  Thats my rule of thumb.

For bigger gills, fish the deepest weeds you can find.

pikemaster789:
it depends how hungry you are  ;D

in my opinion, it is how skilled you are at cleaning them. If you can get good meat off of them, keep the 5, 6 inchers. Im your not as hot, keep the bigger ones that are easier to fillet 7+

backatit:
Some times it comes down to how large a lake/pond you are fishing and the population of gills.  If there are a lot of small gills and not many "bulls" it is probably overpopulated.  In this case keeping the smaller ones and throwing back the bigger ones thins out the population and reduces the fight for food.  Eventually the smalls ones get bigger due to a better food source ;)

bassjunky:
I usually wait untill I get a few big ones, in the 7+ range, once I have a couple of those, I then start to keep the odd 5-6 inch gills

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version