MyFishFinder By Species > Bluegill

nothing but big pumpkinseeds?

(1/2) > >>

Tom Leitz:
I fished a small lake today (probably a 5 acre lake, max depth of about 6') and easily caught a bucket full of pumpkinseeds (there are no other species of sunfish in this particular lake).  The smallest one went 7' and the biggest just over 9'.  I can't ever remember catching nothing but keepers.

What does this mean for the biology of the lake?  I have fished lakes full of nothing but throwbacks, and people have told me to keep smaller ones to give a little more food for the rest -  but I've never encountered this situation before.

The only other species of fish in the lake are perch, largemouths, and pickeral (and there are a ton, I caught a dozen when targeting gills).

pikemaster789:
so where are you catching these 6-7 foot sunfish? ;D

crappieslayer22:
i night need a bigger kayak....... ::)

anthonyebola:
haha

sbfpa_Mike:
This sounds like a great lake. I would think the Bass and Pickeral are keeping the smaller Gills in check. The Picks may wane in numbers or size if they are running out of smaller Gills to eat. If the Pics are smaller, the Bass might have a good time eating them up and the Perch. Did you catch any Perch? I would be curious to the size of these feeder fish as well.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version