FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FINALLY FIXED!  (Read 5033 times)

Baitbucket

Re: FINALLY FIXED!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2021, 08:16 AM »
i work in service industry so i am always getting asked to get things covered when the very cut and warranty has expires by time or miles so i am curious...
did you send them the video you posted in this forum with the commentary?

I have been in contact with them several times over the years. I did send them that video prior to posting it and got no response.

After posting on their facebook feed, they reached out with the free t-shirt offer. Thats when i told them they should be replacing my motor and i began posting on forum.

I have since been contacted by their regional sales manager to work something out. Which we are working through the details of now.

Ill be sure to update this thread when we come to an agreement.

when i first watched your video, i cringed a little bit when you said  something along the lines of "hopefully i can send this out to minkota and they can figure something out but probably not"

That comment was intentional. After 5 years of being in and out of their shop to "repair" it and then being offered a t-shirt for my troubles, i had lost faith in their willingness to rectify the issue.

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2021, 09:12 AM »
I wish you luck!  I had ti have a buddy literally denounce Garmin to get them to fix my first Gen panoptix...crazy how some of these companies treat customers.

fishinator

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 10:00 AM »
Good job on finding the problem.  My friend had a minkota that was in and out of the repair shop several times for an Intermittent problem.  They never could fix it. He tore it down himself and found the wires that went through the shaft were severely twisted and had rubbed a bare spot in a couple wires.
  Not sure how it is by you,  but the "approved" repair shops here are by no means experts in trolling motors, just electrical shops.

Baitbucket

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 02:14 PM »
I wish you luck!  I had ti have a buddy literally denounce Garmin to get them to fix my first Gen panoptix...crazy how some of these companies treat customers.

Especially for what they charge for this stuff..

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Amen.  That's my thing.  For a 50 dollar item I leave people alone.  These things are a couple thousand.  I think it's great you and others do what they do and post videos fixing the issues.  It helps give others confidence to do it as well.  Amazing what you can learn now just by watching someone. 

Baitbucket

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 02:54 PM »
Their offer is to simply deduct the price ive paid out of pocket (~$700) for my repairs from a new motor. Which is a crap deal in my opinion. Ive allready got 2500ish invested in my existing motor. To replace it, i would need to shell out another 1800 after they take the 700 off.

Ive asked them to just straight up replace what i have for a similar model with the same features, and ill drop mine off at one of their service centers in exchange. It doesnt sound like they are going to go that route though.

Baitbucket

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 07:48 AM »
Still fighting this battle. Ive sent the entire story to their President/CEO via linkedin message.

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 06:42 AM »
Still fighting this battle. Ive sent the entire story to their President/CEO via linkedin message.

Nice!

stripernut

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 08:54 AM »
It is so clearly their fault (damaging the wires while manufacturing), you had it into them while it was under warranty, the fact that they did not find their own mistake, does not mean they get to run the clock out on the warranty.

Baitbucket

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 08:28 AM »
It is so clearly their fault (damaging the wires while manufacturing), you had it into them while it was under warranty, the fact that they did not find their own mistake, does not mean they get to run the clock out on the warranty.

You would think. I havent heard back from management. I doubt i will.

I may reach out t cabellas to see if they can do something.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 09:03 AM »
It seems MinnKota has real trouble routing wires. On Sunday I had to disconnect the trim module from the shaft on my Ulterra after it failed to stow (reasons unknown right now but maybe batteries). When I went to snap it back together I had to literally push a big wire out of the way and realized that the steering module was rubbing on that wire. There is no other place to put the wire! Poor design on the most expensive motor that they make.

It's an electric motor, you'd think they would at least have the routing of wires down pat by now. Pathetic.

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Jethro I am still pretty confident you have a ground issue...most common issue that causes the symptoms you mentioned in the other thread.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Jethro I am still pretty confident you have a ground issue...most common issue that causes the symptoms you mentioned in the other thread.

I pulled all my batteries and will have them tested today, hopefully rule that out. I'm confused how I could have a ground issue with a closed loop system? Not like this grounds to the boat or anything, it's just wires positive to negative connected directly from the batteries to the motor. I am however an absolute idiot when it comes to electrical stuff. Willing to take any suggestions.

Baitbucket

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 07:51 AM »
It took some negotiating, but they will be sending me a replacement for my motor. It wont have the ipilot link feature, but it will have iPilot with spot lock. They are also going to let me keep my current motor.

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 08:49 AM »
It took some negotiating, but they will be sending me a replacement for my motor. It wont have the ipilot link feature, but it will have iPilot with spot lock. They are also going to let me keep my current motor.

Great result.  If your old one was a 36v I'd make an offer.  I need to upgrade.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.