MyFishFinder By Species > Bluegill

Sunfish Questions

(1/5) > >>

OTIS:
This is the first year we seriously started fishing for sunfish, and I have a few questions.  How do you stop them from swallowing the hook?  We use a size 4 red octopus hook and a worm about two feet below a slip bober, and they swallow the hook often.  If they do swallow the hook and you cut the line and return them quickly, what is the survival rate of the fish with hooks still in them?

bigdave1018:
if the fish is not bleeding and the body parts are still inside the fish, they have a good chance to live. their body acids dissolve the hook in a few days. ive seen people throw them back with their guts and gills hanging out and say geez i wonder if that fish will live? let someone pull your guts and lungs out and see if you live. i think the chances are very slim. tight lines otis big dave out.

AD:
Maybe try upsizing your hook and see if that helps a bit?      How big of a bobber are you using?     try using as small of one as possible that still stays afloat with the weight of the bait you are using.      Just my thoughts, good luck .   

OTIS:
I think I'm going to try down sizing the bobber and see what happens.  Thanks!

Pasquatch:
set the hook at the first sign of action, you'll miss some fish, but will prevent as much throat hooking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version