MyFishFinder By Species > Bluegill

Flies For Bluegills

<< < (3/6) > >>

bigfoot697:
when you find gills spawning, usually the larger gills will be out deeper spawning then the smaller gills. the majority of times, the larger gills dont let the smaller sunnies into their area to spawn.  try fathead minnows or small grass crabs and use bigger hooks to deter the smaller fish from biting. any silver or green fly should work and once you find the larger gill area, most of your fish will be keepers or eaters. hope this helps.   

Van_Cleaver:
I was working on a job where there was a really shallow farm pond that had both blue gills and bass. I was stripping a bead head wooly bugger, and ended up catching a mess of nice 8-9'' blue gills. Sometime they hit it on the fall, and sometimes pounded it on the strip. Moved some to another location, as I don't eat them when the water is warm. Like most fishing you have to match your fly to the prevailing conditions. Lots of fun on the fly rod.

slipperybob:
A couple of rare situations where windswept insects hitting the water, the fly patterns are just deadly.  I found a spot where there was an insect hatch, and I can see the gills slapping the surface constantly.  Toss any fly pattern and you're pretty much guaranteed a hook up.

bassjunky:
I have a few shoreline bass holes that I hit on a regular basis all summer long long, i have started carrying my fly rod on each trip, and if I can hear the gills sucking at the surface, I drop the bass gear and start casting for gills. When they are active there is nothing like it, they come flying in on all angles you can see the wake in the water and they hammer the fly's.

it is a very underrated style of fishing, but im glad because that leaves more room for me

Edm87:
I would go with a woolly bugger try different colors.  If your fishing ponds with dragon flies try green woolly buggers the fish go nuts for those dragon fly nymphs.  Bluegills are typically willing to eat any offering if you present the fly the correct way they'll bite.  I have a local pond where I get bluegills on 2/0 deer hair poppers during the summer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version