MyFishFinder By Species > Bluegill

Where to find the Ice-Out 'Gills

<< < (2/2)

TroutFishingBear:
It depends. After iceout in my big bluegill lake they stay deep until late may because the water is pumped from an alpine stream into the reservoir.
Now, in a few of the ponds near my home (mostly small bluegills) come into the shallow coves near the weeds. Usually you can see 'em in about 4-6 ft. of water. They are usually feeding on plankton since there is little insect life going on. A small bait is sometimes a must after ice out, but sometimes a big bait is a must. It all depends on the lake and water temperatures.

TheStray:
I had some great luck on a lake that was fairly deep 36' to 40' where the major inlet comes into the lake.  I'm assuming that because it is so deep it takes a while to warm up so the fish head towards the warmer water coming in at the inlet.  I fished within the first week of 70 degree days on a sunny day at about 70 deg. with a tied black ant and a wax worm which was left over ice bait.  I also dangled a spike or two to get rid of the extra bait.  Typically this spot will be unable to fish because the weeds will be too heavy later in the summer.  I could have limited if I would have stayed longer but the owner of the boat wanted to head out.  The bait was in the water maybe 5 secs before it was just attacked.

PERCH INC.:
I fish Burden Lakes were there are three lakes all have dikes between them, it seems that all the gills  from the other two lake go to the shallow one it's about ten feet deep. I use a tube jigs with a piece of worm or some kind of sent-- Dr. Juice -- Keep moving around  catch a few and move again!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version