FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What a joke  (Read 15091 times)

Mackdaddy21

Re: What a joke
« Reply #45 on: Jun 02, 2004, 02:30 PM »
TFB,

There's no need to make things personal. You remember of course that fish act different everywhere. Such as how lake trout act different here, how pike are very tough to catch here as well. Completely different situations and conditions call for different approaches. Even some In Fisherman tactics don't apply for many of our situations around here. No need to make it personal about who's right and who's wrong, because you two are both right.

Tyler

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #46 on: Jun 02, 2004, 04:40 PM »
Guys, from a fishing perspective, I went back to the beginning to see if I put my foot into my mouth and realized that this is a really a very interesting and informative topic and makes for some great reading, showing both geographical differences in approaches but also some similarities.  Too bad there aren't more threads like this to read yet.  As MFF grows, there will be though, rest assured, and hopefully they will be handled in a civil manner like this one!

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #47 on: Jun 02, 2004, 10:03 PM »
Less Filling #$@!

Cider

« Reply #48 on: Jun 02, 2004, 10:15 PM »
This has been a great topic!  TFB, FB, Mackdaddy, you all have come off as very skilled and knowledgeable bass fishermen.  The information and debate has been great and well worth the read.  I think that lots of people will benefit from this who want to learn more about the different techniques and tactics to bass fishing!

Let's hope that more conversations like this will crop up on this site!  ;D

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #49 on: Jun 03, 2004, 02:16 PM »
TFB, I've been meanin' to mention this ever since I read your post but plum forgot.  Just to let you know about your fluke pattern, I've fished flukes ever since they hit the market and probably did OK with them, in fact, probably caught a lot of fish with them.  I've NEVER fished them for 2.5 minutes per cast.  I know some guys that work and twitch them pretty slow, slower than me, and do pretty well on them.  And, 2.5 minutes per cast won't get me many fish per hour probably, and heck, I ain't getting younger.  In fact, it works for you simply because you have lots of years left to use that pattern.  I'm kidding.  It seems logical to try, so, you know what?  I'm gonna try your technique.  Sounds to me like I've been fishing them too fast sometimes!  See, ol' dogs like me can learn a new trick sometimes!  Thanks!

I may have been exaggerating the 2.5 minutes per cast, but I was just emphasizing on how very, very slow I fish flukes. I will cast, then let it sink to the bottom, which takes a while. Then, I will barely twitch it back in slowly, with lots of  pauses of up to 5-12 seconds, depending on the water temperature and how aggressive the bass are that day.

Cider

« Reply #50 on: Jun 03, 2004, 03:05 PM »
[I may have been exaggerating the 2.5 minutes per cast, but I was just emphasizing on how very, very slow I fish flukes. I will cast, then let it sink to the bottom, which takes a while. Then, I will barely twitch it back in slowly, with lots of  pauses of up to 5-12 seconds, depending on the water temperature and how aggressive the bass are that day.

TFB - ever try this method with skirted/hula grubs on a jighead?  I like to do this during the "dog days" of summer when it is really hot and the bass are deep.  You are right on the slow presentation.  Bouncing and walking it across the bottom really turns the fish on!  You have to take your time for each cast and it does seem like an eternity or 2.5 minutes whichever comes first!!  ;)

I also take the same set-up and go out on the lake in my belly boat and "swim" them at various depths while flippering my way across the lake.  Kind of like trolling I suppose.  This is also pretty effective and fun.  I usually do this while on my way down to the weed flats in the far corner of Lake X.  By the time I get there the sun is almost down and the top water action has started and I break out the flyrod with bass poppers!  Nearly a fish every cast when you can find this sort of action on a hot summer night.

Anyway, swimming the grubs is pretty effective too.  Not as much as bouncing the bottom, but you will pick up some nice fish at any rate.

I like the skirted grub because it looks a lot like a big crawfish which is the natural forage for many ponds/lakes in NH.  I use pumpkin seed/watermelon colors the most.  The natural color really gets 'em going into a feeding frenzy!  Every once in a while I like to treat the smallies with the real thing too!  Man, as soon as that live crawfish hits the water they nail it!  It is a pretty good tactic to mix up your soft plastics with live bait every so often.  At least, it works on my waters...

I will have to try the flukes.  I assume you are using zoom flukes?  Any particular colors that you like the best?  Or should I say that your bass like the best?

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #51 on: Jun 03, 2004, 04:06 PM »
I may have been exaggerating the 2.5 minutes per cast, but I was just emphasizing on how very, very slow I fish flukes. I will cast, then let it sink to the bottom, which takes a while. Then, I will barely twitch it back in slowly, with lots of  pauses of up to 5-12 seconds, depending on the water temperature and how aggressive the bass are that day.

Got it TFB, thanks.  I thought that was what you meant.  Bottom line, slow down, fish thoroughly if you know fish are there, and you'll get strikes rather than rippin it through the strike zone... I usually use other plastics to achieve the same result, but if they aren't working, I'll give this one a shot.  Good tip.

Heck, if Cider is fishing any cast for 2.5 minutes and makes a lot of casts, then he won't have any time to post!  ;D

Now, I'm off to ketch sum karp (that think they are bass sippin on cicadas)...

...yeeehaaaaaaa!!!!

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #52 on: Jun 03, 2004, 08:32 PM »
Slacker!  You're falling behind again  :o

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #53 on: Jun 03, 2004, 09:58 PM »

I will have to try the flukes.  I assume you are using zoom flukes?  Any particular colors that you like the best?  Or should I say that your bass like the best?

I like the 5" lemon shad color, but white in the 3 or 5 " is good also.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #54 on: Jun 05, 2004, 06:14 AM »
I like the 5" lemon shad color, but white in the 3 or 5 " is good also.

TFB, you asked about Senko colors and I think based on your choice above you could really knock em dead with the Kinami Flash in chartreuse shad.  This is the same exact bait as the Senko.  Kinami is owned by Gary Yamamoto's son.  In our area, WalMart sells the 5" version.  You can purchase the 4" and 5" from Bass Pro Shops as well, color 13 (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=35906&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=7&hvarSubCode=7&hvarTarget=browse).  The chartreuse shad color is basically a bright chartreuse pepper on the upper half and white on the belly (at least to me white means belly in any color like these, LOL).  In my area, we have some waters that get pretty murky because of runoff or carp feeding, and this color is excellent.  Yet, this color works well in crystal clear water too. 

waterdawg14622

« Reply #55 on: Jun 06, 2004, 12:46 PM »
I like 50# test spiderwire for my jig-n-pig setup.  Its equivalent to the diameter of 10 pound test mono.  Its pretty tough stuff for lifting hawgs out of the slop and heavy weed beds.   Its also really sensitive line with virtually no stretch.  When a bass bites it feels like a ton of bricks.
Jeff

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #56 on: Jun 06, 2004, 10:43 PM »
I like 50# test spiderwire for my jig-n-pig setup.  Its equivalent to the diameter of 10 pound test mono.  Its pretty tough stuff for lifting hawgs out of the slop and heavy weed beds.   Its also really sensitive line with virtually no stretch.  When a bass bites it feels like a ton of bricks.

The only problem is casting distance, but from a boat it usually doesn't matter. Does the jig-n-pig's action hindered at all by the spiderwire?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.