FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Alewife Imitators ?  (Read 17458 times)

suskymusky

Alewife Imitators ?
« on: Mar 18, 2004, 04:56 AM »
I fish a lake that has huge schools of alewives.It also gets a lot of fishing pressure.The fish turn their nose up at baitshop shiners and are next to impossible to catch on traditional lures.I was wondering what lures best mimic alewives and how I should fish them.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Alewife Imitators ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2004, 04:45 PM »
can anyone post a pic of an Alewife,  this will help.

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2004, 04:56 PM »
ya im not sure what that is  ;D
tight lines, chuck

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2004, 05:25 PM »
     Aren't they the same as sawbellies? 
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2004, 06:25 PM »
Let me guess Susky...you're talking about Otsego Lake, right? THey are so out of control in there it's not even funny. That's why the eyes are being stocked in there.

-Zach

suskymusky

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2004, 11:08 PM »
Nope, I'm talking about Frances Slocum.There are some real lunkers in there, but I don't know of anyone that catches them.

suskymusky

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2004, 03:18 PM »

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:20 PM »
id say them fish would be eating alot of them. try using them for bait ;D
tight lines, chuck

Jigwiggler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:38 PM »
Ah ha!  Same as a moon eye.  Try a Pirate 66 spoon, add a large eye to the front of the spoon (either painted or stick on type).  These fish have a large eye and game fish key in on this.  The Pirate spoon can be cast but is a little light,  great for trolling or add weight ahead for casting.  Also if you like fishing jigs, try the Livin' Eye minnows you can find in Cabela's catolog.  I have had good luck with both of these on bass and all of the toothier species.  Good luck!   I didn't know there were alweives in Slocum.  Are you fishing for eyes or musky?

suskymusky

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:04 PM »
I'm trying for walleye and bass.I know there are some real lunkers in there, but they're impossible for me to catch.I wouldn't mind hooking into one of those 30 lb. Muskies, either!There is too much forage in there.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2004, 04:19 PM »
Susky,
     Since you're targeting eyes and bass I'd start with the smaller Pirate spoon.  Find those baitfish in schools and you'll find most fish that are actively feeding.  Do you have electronics?  If so look for bait over deeper water, watch for fish suspended next to or under the baitfish.  I have only fished Slocum once and don't remember it having much structure.  If so (I don't really remember)  don't overlook any structure no matter how subtle as it could be a fish holding magnet.  If matching the forage doesn't work try something completly different.  Bright colors and flashy, noisey baits.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  Would you believe I have caught walleyes on bright pink buzz baits?  You never know what they want until you offer it to them.

Good luck!

Somers

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2004, 02:22 PM »
Alewives are indeed sawbellies and are also the predominant herring that run up the Hudson river.  Their Latin name is Alosa Psuedoharrengus.

Just about any spoon will imitate them, krocs, kastmasters, cleos, mooselooks, etc.  My favorites are crippled herring.  They can be jigged casted or trolled and are a spitting image.

A Rattletrap is another great alewife imitator in the crank dept., blue/silver, blk/silver, silver, white.

Any large paddle tail shad imitator will work as well like bass assassins, gummy shads, mister twisters, etc. on a jig head.

You can (if legal) try netting them in the evening or early am when the schools are visible on top.  Be sure to have an aerator and adequate room in a tank or bucket for them.  Keep them in cold water w/ some aquarium salt.

I've also run small trebles w/ a split shot through the school when it's being busted by trout, eyes, bass, whatever from below.  Approach quietly and cast the hook into the school.  Jerk the hook through the school until you snag one and let it drop beneath the bait and hold on.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2004, 03:16 PM »
      The crippled herring is a good imitator.  I only like them for deep vertical jigging since they are so heavy.  I think a lighter/ flutter type of spoon has much more action making it more appealing to fish.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2004, 12:22 AM »
Your in for tough fishing. I know of lakes in Colorado that are stuffed with either freshwater shrimp or crawfish. Whatever fish that swell in the lake, usually bass or trout, are very hard to catch with so much forage.
I would try a soft jerkbait in white. Match the size of the smaller alewives to the jerkbait.
The other thing I might recommend is trying to garner a reflex strike. Topwater poppers or prop baits retrieved fast might work okay too.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.