FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Costa del mar sunglasses  (Read 4228 times)

fishkiller007

Costa del mar sunglasses
« on: Jul 26, 2015, 07:18 AM »
Going to invest in a good pair of glasses and I'm thinking costa del mars'. I'm just not sure what model to get or the lense. Mainly I do mostly trout fly fishing at local streams and I do some lake trolling.
Don't fear the fish

SchrnLker

Re: Costa del mar sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2015, 03:15 PM »
I have 2 pairs, one is a brown lens and the other is what they call sunrise.  I use mine for fly fishing, and the sunrise is my favorite, very crisp, and fish spotting is amazing. 580 lenses is the way to go.   I like the full frames that go all around the lens, more rugged, and the camo finish is cool.  By far the best fishing glasses I've owned.
Tony  

fontona19

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2015, 05:43 PM »
I have a pair of Cortez with green mirror 580G lenses. Hands down the clearest lenses I have ever used.

fishkiller007

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I have a pair of Cortez with green mirror 580G lenses. Hands down the clearest lenses I have ever used.

Would you say glass or plastic lens. Probably glass right?
Don't fear the fish

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2015, 09:42 PM »
why is it every time a sun glasses post come up every one encourages them to buy the most expensive pair they can ? when god knows there going to lose them in the water??? just lost my pair of floating colemen hd's  two day ago could not get them back buy netting them was not on a boat  so could not reach them... also did not have a long enough net to reach them probably why I am writing this post ...   had that pair for a good 6 year now I got to get another pair for another $10 but any way wait till you lose a $200  pair and you will be wishing you paid $10 for a pair of glasses...lol's 

fontona19

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2015, 11:05 PM »

Would you say glass or plastic lens. Probably glass right?

The glass is supposedly more scratch resistant,  which makes sense.  Never used their plastic lenses. 

fontona19

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2015, 11:08 PM »
why is it every time a sun glasses post come up every one encourages them to buy the most expensive pair they can ? when god knows there going to lose them in the water??? just lost my pair of floating colemen hd's  two day ago could not get them back buy netting them was not on a boat  so could not reach them... also did not have a long enough net to reach them probably why I am writing this post ...   had that pair for a good 6 year now I got to get another pair for another $10 but any way wait till you lose a $200  pair and you will be wishing you paid $10 for a pair of glasses...lol's 

Most cheaper sunglasses are not truly UV protectant.  Even though they have stickers claiming they are.  There is no agency that governs them so they can claim whatever they want.

mcully

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2015, 06:40 AM »
I lose cheap ones often but my wiley X and costa are on lanyards ad haven't lost them in many outings. Tuna Alleys with the glass green lens good for slightly off-color water like most of our lakes and streams. Use them on Skaneateles too and see very well in crystal clear water.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:25 PM »
any sun glasses  with polarized lenses  0ffer uv protection
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

cchase

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I have several pairs of costa's in all grades and shades. Anyone who tells you the better lenses dont make much of a difference has never put them on. I typically fish rivers and the  green mirror 580g lenses are life chaging on a river. I also have the blue mirror and amber in 580g but prefer the green.  The blue I will wear if out in a boat on a big lake or the ocean.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:16 PM »
any sun glasses  with polarized lenses  0ffer uv protection

Not true according to WebMD.
See the very last line in the article.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/features/how-to-pick-good-sunglasses?page=2

I've seen this elsewhere also.

Yachtzy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:21 PM »
I'm sort of cheap, so I buy the bass pro $25 specials. They're really not that bad. I had a pair before with glass lenses, can't remember the brand, but there is a big difference with glass I felt. They are harder to scratch, and better clarity, and the only drawback I felt was they weighed a little bit more on the bridge of the nose.

I'm interested in getting a pair of Costas, but I don't know much about them. What is the 580 G lens? What do you suggest would be best for shallow water, clear to stained clarity. From reading previous post, possibly 580G in green?

I have to wear sunglasses all the time, even on partly cloudy days. My eyes are very light sensitive, I'll end up with a bad  headache too if I forget them, especially ice fishing. Thanks.

gso12

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2015, 03:58 PM »
I have a pair of Fantail 580g green tint. They work perfect for fishing our rivers out here. BEST sunglasses ever!!

boondox

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2015, 05:12 PM »

Not true according to WebMD.
See the very last line in the article.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/features/how-to-pick-good-sunglasses?page=2

I've seen this elsewhere also.

very true it lets some uva and uvb threw in these type of len used in polarized lens they use tight together line to block light... that is why if you take to pair of polarized lens hold them like you were wearing them at the same time looking at a lamp light...  then turn one 90* wile turning the one pair you will notice the lens goes completely dark cause the line are crossing at 90* to each other that how to tell you got two pairs of polarized sun glasses to..  

but on a side note how do you know that company is not handing you a load of bull Shasta about them being uv proof since there is no regulation on them that just how stuff works... I would love to own a great pair of sun glasses but I know my clumsy self is going to lose them or sit on them it's just how it goes then there goes another 200-250 I just want to spend again...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2015, 05:46 PM »
I solved that problem long ago. I started buying prescription polarized sunglasses from my Optician with a guarantee that they were 100% UV protection. Yes, $250-300 a pair, with a Varilux lens, but d**n they're nice. I prefer an amber tint. All purpose and excellent for fishing.

I envy those of you who don't need a prescription.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.