FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518560 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4920 on: Jun 21, 2023, 08:45 AM »
If you’ve never grown Black Opal basil, you should. Not too late to plant either. That, cinnamon and lemon basil are my favorites.

The leaves are great but the flowers are a whole step up.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

piscesman

« Reply #4921 on: Jun 22, 2023, 07:39 PM »
Bob, I put the basil flower tops in my lunch salad. Super delicious!!!!!!!!!! Now, I put basil in my salad every day and try adding all the fresh herbs to our food.. We have way more than we will ever eat. Giving a plant to my sister when we are vacationing at Cayuga Lake State Park next month along with some tomato plants.. She lives in Seneca Falls. What's the average amount of peppers do you get from a single plant?? I counted 8 that are formed and 5 more flowers coming out. All on just 1 plant. 2 others the same. Is it best to let them all grow to potential or nip some to boost the size in others??? I'm referring to green bell peppers. We also have sweet banana peppers coming out too. TIA...........
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

fishinator

« Reply #4922 on: Jun 22, 2023, 07:55 PM »
Bob, I put the basil flower tops in my lunch salad. Super delicious!!!!!!!!!! Now, I put basil in my salad every day and try adding all the fresh herbs to our food.. We have way more than we will ever eat. Giving a plant to my sister when we are vacationing at Cayuga Lake State Park next month along with some tomato plants.. She lives in Seneca Falls. What's the average amount of peppers do you get from a single plant?? I counted 8 that are formed and 5 more flowers coming out. All on just 1 plant. 2 others the same. Is it best to let them all grow to potential or nip some to boost the size in others??? I'm referring to green bell peppers. We also have sweet banana peppers coming out too. TIA...........
      Kim
I have always done best by pulling the first couple rounds of flowers off until the plant puts on some height. I get tons of large bells every year.  I have heard in areas with short growing seasons that it isn't recommended though. No problems with doing it that way in indiana. 

krispcritter

« Reply #4923 on: Jun 24, 2023, 06:34 AM »
New potatoes and fresh beets on the menu tonight. Fresh from the garden is the best

To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

krispcritter

« Reply #4924 on: Jun 24, 2023, 08:29 AM »
Garden hint. Use an old or new mailbox on a post at your garden to store tools, string, whatever small things you need at the ready.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4925 on: Jun 24, 2023, 11:17 AM »
That’s a clever idea

piscesman

« Reply #4926 on: Jun 25, 2023, 07:36 PM »
What's the fun with a mailbox. More exciting having the wife hit them with the lawn mower.......... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Not a bad idea though. Is your season the same as here in upstate New York??
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

krispcritter

« Reply #4927 on: Jun 26, 2023, 08:55 AM »
Pretty much. Same weather patterns as Buffalo only we get it first. Lake Erie can be a blessing or a curse depending on if she froze or not.
We stay cooler longer in the spring but warmer in the fall depending on lake temp.

piscesman

« Reply #4928 on: Jun 26, 2023, 06:57 PM »
You benefit both ways it seems. My bell peppers are about 1" in diameter. Moving the sweet banana ones to more sunlight. Everything else is so far so good.
      Kim
      author unknown

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4929 on: Jun 29, 2023, 12:06 PM »
Everyone’s garden looks great, thanks for sharing the pics!

I wonder what if any differences the gardens will have this year with the smoggy/smoke skies we have experienced with wildfires. I’m my neck of the woods sunny days have been hard to come by and while it’s not scheduled to rain again until Saturday, the sun isn’t shining. Things seem okay thus far so hopefully there’s no negative impact.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4930 on: Jun 30, 2023, 12:05 PM »
Asparagus gone wild.

Gotta fence it in this weekend or I won’t be able to get to my planting bench.

Think I’m gonna buy some hedge trimmers too.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4931 on: Jun 30, 2023, 12:10 PM »
Wow

krispcritter

« Reply #4932 on: Jun 30, 2023, 12:28 PM »
Rg..I would just tie it into a bunch with string. I would tie several bunches when I had an asparagus bed. Let the ferns support each other. Made easy work to cut them down when they died off for winter.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4933 on: Jun 30, 2023, 12:32 PM »
Does that every year. I put up some fence and keep it contained. It’s all ready to go. Pretty simple.

We harvested till we couldn’t eat any more. It’ll go wild and I’ll let it go all winter. I give it a thick layer of leaf mulch in the fall. In the spring I’ll cut off the dead and wait anxiously for fresh asparagus. It’s something we can count on every year.

That bed is 7 years old next year. Think I’ll give it a birthday party.

taxid

« Reply #4934 on: Jun 30, 2023, 04:49 PM »
O.K. garden experts: What going on with my pepper plants? Every other plant in the garden is doing great which includes tomatoes, lettuce, baby corn, and zucchini. They suddenly started to wilt and one was so bad it was a lot cause. Two of the four never seemed to grow well although they did develop buds and one pepper. I wondering if I just bought bad plants. Is it too late to plant seeds and start over?

Not enough water can't be it as I water them every morning unless it rains. Maybe too much water? Too much sun? I did notice roots were exposed on one which could have been from the nozzle on the garden hose set to too much pressure. I covered the roots. But that doesn't explain the others.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.