FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518781 times)

62 & Done

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4950 on: Jul 03, 2023, 02:47 PM »
The older shed in the photo may taken down only because it may become dangerous. I have considered saving the timbers, but I don't believe it's a money maker because of the labor involved. As far as the land is concerned, it has become a labor of love for me. We have been contacted several times and could be looking at a sea of solar panels, but I prefer the aesthetics of corn and hay any day. I also have the options of building lots but then I will have neighbors.  Naaa. So as long as I can ride a tractor, paint a board or swing a hammer it will be farm land. It's not a money maker but I love the place.

Not to get on my soap box, but everyone who likes a piece of beef, likes milk on their corn flakes, or enjoys bacon & eggs in the morning should shake the hand of a farmer and say thanks.     No Farms means No Groceries

krispcritter

« Reply #4951 on: Jul 07, 2023, 03:34 PM »
Question garden people.....I have been disappointed with a few of the seeds I have gotten lately. My old goto seed company merged with another and I'm not thrilled with their selection. Who do you order your seeds from. I may have to order from sever different companies to get the verities for next year that I want.
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4952 on: Jul 07, 2023, 05:01 PM »
Burpee is my usual…in my neck of the woods anyway.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4953 on: Jul 08, 2023, 02:20 PM »
The battle begins!

Found my first Japanese beetle in my asparagus today. Set out 3 traps and killed a few dozen more. Only 4-6 more weeks of battle.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #4954 on: Jul 08, 2023, 04:49 PM »
Oh no   I've been looking without saying a word. was wondering when-  haven't seen one as of today   I try to keep control of some juicy tall stalky weed that they seem to be attracted to. It grows in the wet areas. If I can keep it down I have noticed smaller numbers of the beetles. Just one more invasive that we don't need.

fishinator

« Reply #4955 on: Jul 08, 2023, 05:49 PM »
The battle begins!

Found my first Japanese beetle in my asparagus today. Set out 3 traps and killed a few dozen more. Only 4-6 more weeks of battle.
my asparagus gets COVERED in Japanese beetles every year. They never mess with anything except the asparagus and I haven't seen any bad effects on the plants so I just leave them be. Neighbors have traps that are always FULL of them. Until they harm my other plants I think I will leave the trapping to the neighbors.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4956 on: Jul 08, 2023, 06:54 PM »
I can’t stand looking at them. So I do my best to eradicate them.

Haven’t as yet. But it keeps me busy.

Dirt23

« Reply #4957 on: Jul 09, 2023, 05:52 AM »
my asparagus gets COVERED in Japanese beetles every year. They never mess with anything except the asparagus and I haven't seen any bad effects on the plants so I just leave them be. Neighbors have traps that are always FULL of them. Until they harm my other plants I think I will leave the trapping to the neighbors.

Definitely leave trapping to neighbors the traps get lots of them but attract many more beetles than you'd normally have

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4958 on: Jul 09, 2023, 12:45 PM »
Well, all I know is I didn’t have a single beetle in my plants and the bags are filling up.

jperch

« Reply #4959 on: Jul 09, 2023, 12:54 PM »
I just got done cutting the grass, I have never seen so many Japanese beetles in my life.  There also seems to be more honeybees and bumblebees than in recent years.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4960 on: Jul 09, 2023, 02:45 PM »
Bees good! Beetles bad!

fishinator

« Reply #4961 on: Jul 09, 2023, 04:19 PM »
Seems to be more bees here than in past too. I had to quit weeding the garden this morning so I wouldn't get stung. Almost every bloom had a bee in it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4962 on: Jul 09, 2023, 08:30 PM »
Bees are very good of course, like Bob says, but I'm slightly allergic to them.
If I get stung, I start losing my breath and get very dizzy (or dizzier) and will fall over if I don't lie down on the ground.
It quickly passes in 5-10 minutes, but always scares the crap out of me.

jperch

« Reply #4963 on: Jul 09, 2023, 09:59 PM »
Bees are very good of course, like Bob says, but I'm slightly allergic to them.
If I get stung, I start losing my breath and get very dizzy (or dizzier) and will fall over if I don't lie down on the ground.
It quickly passes in 5-10 minutes, but always scares the crap out of me.
Yikes, Mac.  What if you got stung multiple times?  Epi pen?

62 & Done

« Reply #4964 on: Jul 10, 2023, 01:29 PM »
Hope my veggies can do the doggie paddle.....  yikes this is too much rain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.