FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518591 times)

MILLERMANKT

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #5100 on: Sep 11, 2023, 10:27 PM »
Yeah I plan on setting them about 8” deep with a lot of leaf clippings on top. It’ll be an experiment but we’ll see.
All you can do is try.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5101 on: Sep 12, 2023, 05:27 AM »
I haven’t planted potatoes in two years and dug these up in that bed last week when I was planting more asparagus..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piscesman

« Reply #5102 on: Sep 14, 2023, 06:25 PM »
With the season winding I have a few questions. The garlic we grew this year was small, so if we leave the small bulbs in will they germinate to garlic plants next year?? If I don't have any well grown beans to get the seeds for planting next year will the smaller bean "seeds" work?? Do you have to let the veggies dry out along with the seeds to plant them next year??
Was at a job today and the owners had a decent size garden and lots of beans. Has anyone ever used gutters to grow plants in ON PURPOSE!!!! They had 3 that were approx. 10' long and holes drill on the ends to drain water to keep the roots from rotting. You could easily put 3 - 4 together with 8" spacing and 1 higher than the other like steps. Would help keep them off the ground, away from critters and better for your back while harvesting them.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5103 on: Sep 14, 2023, 11:21 PM »
For garlic , I was always told " plant your bigger cloves and eat the smaller ones."

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5104 on: Sep 15, 2023, 03:06 AM »
Absolutely plant the largest cloves you have. Don’t think I’d winter over  whole heads. They’ll want to grow individual plants from each clove in the head and your harvest will be minimal. I always plant individual cloves. About half of mine are from my own seed. The  other half comes from a local farm market.

I’ve used gutters for strawberries but not in a long time.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

piscesman

« Reply #5105 on: Sep 15, 2023, 06:38 PM »
OK, we'll have to buy garlic cloves as these are small and still in the soil. Will need to dig them up.
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5106 on: Sep 15, 2023, 08:43 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen garlic cloves this big. 2 it of them were in 1 bulb with 2 smaller cloves

62 & Done

« Reply #5107 on: Sep 16, 2023, 01:45 PM »
Pulled the last of my cucumber vines today. Got a few in the fridge and then it's those ugly road weary things in the market. Looking forward to all the fall and winter fun but I will miss my fresh veggies.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5108 on: Sep 16, 2023, 03:36 PM »
I still have a lot of peppers left witch some will become stuffed and smoked tomorrow..  Still have red and green tomatoes but I think everything else is shot ..  I will probably take the electric fence down and let the deer clean up the rest. They will eat every leaf of the pepper plants and not the peppers…
 Would that that be considered baiting deer if I I shoot one in two weeks with the bow ?????😎😎✌️✌️✌️
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

62 & Done

« Reply #5109 on: Sep 16, 2023, 04:46 PM »
sounds like a food plot to me. completely legal- just don't pick a pepper leaf and then throw it on the ground- make sense?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5110 on: Sep 16, 2023, 04:52 PM »
 ;D  ;D✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️😎😎

Mac Attack

« Reply #5111 on: Sep 16, 2023, 04:53 PM »
You have greenhouses and such.
No nuisance permits Dom?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5112 on: Sep 30, 2023, 08:09 AM »
Time to pull the first bean plants and put in more spinach. Also have to dig up a planting in the front yard. Need to see what’s left of the bulbs in there and get ready to plant a bunch more. Bought some Allium, Puschkinia and a pile of assorted Daffodils.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5113 on: Sep 30, 2023, 10:40 AM »
Time to pull the first bean plants and put in more spinach. Also have to dig up a planting in the front yard. Need to see what’s left of the bulbs in there and get ready to plant a bunch more. Bought some Allium, Puschkinia and a pile of assorted Daffodils.

Do you till in the bean plants Bob?
Farmers do this all the time will soil robbing crops like corn.
Plant corn 2-3 years and then beans, tilling the bean plants in to help replenish the nitrogen.
Typically, soybeans I understand.
Crop rotation as we learned in grade school.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5114 on: Sep 30, 2023, 11:08 AM »
Nah….my 2’ x 8’ raised beds are a bit small for that. They get a lot of attention though. Lots of good compost come out of my gardens.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.