MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Bait

keeping minnows alive

(1/2) > >>

broken rod:
 you guys got any good tricks for keeping a large quanity of minnows alive durring the summer months

howey1176:
I'm very fortunate. I have a small pond (little smaller than an acre) in my backyard. I have screen cages that I have built to keep them in. Can keep them alive all season if the bluegill in the pond don't stress them out too much. Other than that one of those big galvanived watering troughs for livestock with a good filtration and aeration system would work good also.

reelcharacter:
Perhaps the best vessel I can think of for keeping minnows in a stream or pond is a  Washing Machine
washtub. They have well distributed holes and will not rust.

-Reelcharacter

mike692:
I keep minnows alive in Rubbermaid totes, with an aerator. The key to keeping them alive in the summer is to not overcrowd, and keep the water cool and clean. I have a root cellar attached to my basement that runs in the high 50's during the hottest part of the summer it's great for keeping minnows.
If you seine them, don't take anymore than you can use in one or two trips. I have even returned leftover minnows to the stream where I seined them. Then I don't have to live with a bucket of dead minnows. They will be there the next time I seine.

zuke852000:
if you want the cheap method... Ice cubes... as they melt they oxygenate the water and also keep it form warming too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version