FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Picked my first crawlers of the year  (Read 5996 times)

youngster

• Just Do IT
Re: Picked my first crawlers of the year
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2021, 10:53 AM »
gotta quick 100 3 days ago myself,,    they were out good   AND i didnt want to stop lol,,,  took a few days to recoup but glad i did  , now i just go out as i use them and alot easier on the ole bod.  and lot less pressure....   i use buss beding ( chopped papper) coffee grounds) in ole fridge  worked good for many years.   goodluck stay safe

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2021, 11:46 AM »
i just picked up another doz and a half at wal mart
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bbfrogger

« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2021, 01:14 PM »
i just picked up another doz and a half at wal mart

What happened to the grand kids ?  hahaha

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:20 PM »
they went fishing without me  :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:38 PM »
Have you guys ever put them ice water just before you use them? Makes them really firm and wiggly.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bbfrogger

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2021, 06:09 PM »
Have you guys ever put them ice water just before you use them? Makes them really firm and wiggly.

Ice water has the opposite affect on me  :-)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2021, 06:13 PM »
Like a frightened turtle...
my crawlers are pretty much always cold when I take them fishing. I use a cooler and ice packs.

Gotta respect the worm.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Old Timer

« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2021, 07:14 PM »
I have a couple of bigger styrofoam boxes - like from Omaha steaks.  I put a couple inch deep layer of compost in the bottom then fill the rest with wet leaves and cover it with wet paper. I feed them my wife's coffee grounds daily.  I keep about 150-200 per box...... I found that I need to cut a couple inch  hole in the top to give them air or the stuff gets moldy..... I cover the hole with a mesh screen so they don't escape.....
Corn meal will make them white. Oat meal will too but it gets sticky. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2021, 07:22 PM »
Interesting..... just bedded mine down in a tote with lots of damp newspaper. I guess I don’t care what they look like. As long as they don’t have that deep dark dirt. Hate worm dirt.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2021, 08:36 AM »
yes that deep dark worm dirt  is uggly stuff never again, pontoon boat looked like the grandkids finger painted all over the place     not good

taxid

« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:12 AM »
yes that deep dark worm dirt  is uggly stuff never again, pontoon boat looked like the grandkids finger painted all over the place     not good

Yeah I hated that stuff they came in too. Would get under my nails and hard to wash off my rough hands. I also had a bad habit of wiping it off on my pants.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:23 AM »
When I buy worms first think I do I’d dump all the dirt and rinse them off. Then they go into the newspaper. Within a week they deposit all the black dirt they ingested.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:29 AM »
Ice water has the opposite affect on me  :-)

I guess you're not a crawler then.  ;D

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:30 AM »
When I buy worms first think I do I’d dump all the dirt and rinse them off. Then they go into the newspaper. Within a week they deposit all the black dirt they ingested.

Rg

Makes sense. I used to use the shredded bedding they sell.

fishfetcher71

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:51 AM »
keep them in icewater while fishing, make sure water stays cold. another trick is pack them in container with wet  news paper  over fill container and put lid on making a pressure pack.   again  keep them cold.  they will  bulk up and be very lively.  not for long term storage.  been doing  it for years   idea came from old book called nightcrawler secrets, from the 70s. no longer in print.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.